FamilySearch Wiki:Missionary Training Preparation
Before we Begin
- ASAP Always Start w/ A Prayer
- KISS Keep It Super Simple
Rise to Your Call-as given by Elder Eyring in a video
- You are called of God
- Thousands may call you blessed-not only in this life, but those spirits waiting to receive the ordinances they need to progress.
- You do not work alone!
- Give your whole heart!
TAKE LITTLE BITES!! This is like “eating an elephant”. You cannot ‘inhale’ him, but you can take one bite at a time!!!
- As you pray you WILL receive the guidance you need from above.
- Don't do it all. Prayerfully choose something to do or learn and just be doing. That's all the Lord asks of us.
- Set aside specific times to work on FamilySearch Wiki and learn about your calling.
- Understand the importance of family history work. Without this most valuable work, members would not be able to find their ancestors.
The Work You Have Been Called To Do
- Is of the utmost importance-our salvation and those who have gone before us
- It is also the most rewarding work you will ever do.
- Builds a testimony of this marvelous work
- Helps to direct & simplify your life towards “what really matters!”
- Without this most valuable work, our ancestors cannot be saved.
- And “neither can we without our dead be made perfect” (D&C 128:15)
- Pray for guidance
- Don’t become overwhelmed.
- Get going and be involved
- Progress at your own pace.
- Be patient and kind to yourself
- Take time to learn in small increments
- Just be doing
- Take little bites noting what you have worked on and where you want to go next.
- KEEP Track: Keep a notepad and write down any questions/problems you encounter right then. (We are eating the elephant, but don’t have the memory of one!!)
- Keep track of all those who you contact for your own reference and have the information available to pass on.
- You do NOT need to know it all.,
Step by Step, Line Upon Line, Precept Upon Precept
REMEMBER: This training is about giving you the tools to help you. The Lord asks us just to be doing. As you get started, remember you only need to be one step ahead of those you are working with. COME BACK often for updates as new training, easier methods, and as new technology become available, etc.
What is a FamilySearch Wiki Support Missionary
The Wiki Support Team has as a goal to keep the Family Search Wiki orderly, useful and up to date. There are many duties that help us support the Wiki. The following are some of the major duties.
- Check all new additions to the Wiki, and all the additions to pages.
- Answer questions from patrons, contributors and other missionaries and volunteers.
- Review, edit and organize many pages, files, images, talk pages, categories, and templates to keep them up to date and clean of non-research materials.
- Teach new missionaries, each other and other groups about the Wiki.
- Create, organize, and follow through to the completion projects that improve the order of the Wiki.
- Work as a team to discuss ways to help improve the Wiki.
As you are going through the general classes, we ask that you review the following videos to get background for the Missionary Training Lessons.
Researching in the Wiki
The FamilySearch Wiki is a Research Wiki so that is a major goal of those who come to the Wiki. Therefore as members of the Support Team we will be reviewing pages about research methods and sources. We also have the need to have a knowledge of how it is done in the FamilySearch Wiki.
These give a overview of the process in the Wiki.
Self-Taught Wiki User Lessons
The following lessons are designed for people who are new to the Wiki. It will give you an overview of the wiki and guide you on how to use it. They are hands on, self paced and use case studies which will help you learn the research process. These lessons are most effective if you will actually take the time to walk through the steps on your computer. If you do so you will have a better understanding of what the Wiki is and how to use it.
- Wiki User Lessons (all lessons)
There are words that are common to a Wiki. In this part we are going to start to build your vocabulary for the Wiki. The following are not videos so the going may be slower but our goal is not to learn everything but to know where to go to get the answers. As we use these items in the classes, you will have these pages to help now and in the future.FamilySearch Wiki:Missionary Training Lessons