Join the meeting, the ID is 0518
Purpose of the meeting
- To forge solutions with other community contributors.
- To discuss content, technical issues, workarounds, community, site design, and strategy.
- We finally have the answer to the question about possible new URLs for the Family History Library catalog items. Yes, there will be new URLs. Yes, we are pretty sure we can edit the FHL template and automatically fix all links to the catalog that were created by using the template (Yea!!! for templates!!!). I have sent Thomas the details about the changes that need to be made to the FHL template. Stay tuned for more info as we start testing. --Fran 17:53, 20 July 2010 (UTC)
- Quick question - is the record ID the only portion that is not changed? It should be easy to make the template and not worry about the record ID itself being changed. dsammy 18:17, 20 July 2010 (UTC)
- I am taking a look at the information sent to me. I have many questions still and am not convinced that this will solve everything. I could be wrong. Thomas_Lerman 03:05, 22 July 2010 (UTC) P.S. As I think about it, I am not sure how this should all look. Discussion about linking to the FHLC (seems to now be an orphan) was always based upon a film or call number. How should things be displayed using the ID?
Add your recognition items below
From FamilySearch Staff
- Cemetery Pages generated from FS Affiliate Cemetery Solutions -- TreeSeek Demo by Tim Cross 19:55, 19 July 2010
- The demo site is located at http://treeseek.com/tools/cemeteries/ Thomas_Lerman 02:32, 22 July 2010 (UTC). P.S. They basically can pull out information on who is buried at a particular cemetery according to new FamilySearch. One can also add burial record for a particular person using their software. They also talked about having their software also link to the Wiki. If a page does not exist, it would need to be created and they would like to know what information should be at a minimum (can they have the data automatically be included through SUBST so the Wiki community can cause the page to be changed in needed). A standard title would be best concerning this, such as "cemetery name, county, state". They brought up the ID used by Standard Finder . . . this is similar to Record Search (Historical Records). It would be nice if they were able to add the ID template to existing pages. Also, a newly created cemetery page should be linked in through the city, county, or wherever. No names would be posted to the Wiki. As Judy brought up, the standard was to NOT include the cemetery name in the locality, but rather in the sources! I agree with this information. Will hospitals and churches be next (both are in the system)? What other "Place Types" exist in Standard Finder. I really wish that PAF were in the public domain so that we can change some things such as how one can search based upon locality. Jimmy brought up that they have been creating cemetery pages for Idaho and this could be a public relations problem because of the possible change in adding cemeteries. http://gpp.jlconsulting.com/ was brought up as well. FindAGrave is more comprehensive.
- I see that Standard Finder allows one to click on the Geo Code to get to a map. I thinkk it would be GREAT if Standard Finder was linked to the Research Wiki with that link available through the API. It might be nice if the Research Wiki pulled the latitude & longitude from the Standard Finder (or maybe that would be too much traffic). I found by clicking on the Identification Number, I was able to pull up other place types within the Populated Place. This included: Church, Cemetery, Post Office, LDS Temple, Hospital, Unknown, Island, Area, and Second-Order Administrative Division. More probably exists. I do not believe this means that the standard means that these should be added to all localities (as Judy was concerned about). I would have to agree! Thomas_Lerman 14:59, 22 July 2010 (UTC)
- Finalizing the move of all content from FamilySearch.org to the Wiki. This project is slated to be completed before beta FamilySearch goes live. Volunteers will be needed to help finish the copy/paste in about a week. See the progress: Task to Copy Research Guidance and Help Content. --Wilma
- Q&A over the questions from last weeks meeting concerning the Research Wiki Main Page. Don Stringham 13:20, 20 July 2010
Be bold! Post your agenda items!
| Feel free to post on the agenda any items you wish to cover during the meeting. If your item requires details or feedback, post some details on the discussion page and link to the discussion from the agenda.