FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Waypointing/New York, Bronx Probate Estate Files 1914-1929
Project Name: New York, Bronx Probate Estate Files 1914-1929
Project Owner: Heather Walgren, email@example.com, 801-240-9458
Project Completion Deadline: August 9, 2011
- Go to “File,” “Open Project,” and select “New York, Bronx Probate Estate Files 1914-1929 -- DB -- Part 1” from the list on the Waypointing Wiki page from the drop-down menu, then click “OK.”
- Locate and mark any camera operator, focus images or title boards as “Administrative.”
- The Consolidated Form for this project has nine fields:
- State – The state should always be New York. If you encounter anything other than New York please contact the project owner.
- County – The county should always be Bronx. If you encounter anything other than Bronx please contact the project owner.
- Court – The court should always be Bronx County Surrogate's Court. If you encounter anything other than Bronx County Surrogate's Court please contact the project owner.
- Record Category – The record category should always be either Probate (with a will) or Administration (without a valid will). This might change from waypoint to waypoint within the same folder. If you encounter anything other than Bronx County Surrogate's Court please contact the project owner.
- Record Type – This is the type of the record, such as guardianship, administration, etc. The record type will usually be listed in the first or second image of each waypoint. If you encounter one you are not sure about please contact the project owner.
- Probate Estate Year – Please list the year the file was entered into the courts. This will usually be listed in the first or second image of each waypoint.
- Given Name(s) – The name is usually listed on the first and second page of each file. Please list the first and any middle name or initials of the deceased individual.
- Surname – The name is usually listed on the first and second page of each file. Please list the name of the deceased individual.
- AKA Name – Only use this field if the court put an alias name on the file folder. If no alias is listed leave this field blank.
- Once the consolidated form is complete, highlight the images it applies to and click “New.”
- Repeat this process until all probate files have been Waypointed with their own Consolidated Form.
- When you are confident that all waypoints are correct, click “Finish.” A new folder should load, or you can start with step 1 of these instructions to open a new folder.
- When you have finished your first folder, please send an email to Heather or Travis, so they can audit your work and give feedback on any issues they find.
Usually, but not always, the first image of each estate file was rotated to a landscape orientation, which can help in identifying where the file breaks are. Be sure to check the last one or two images in the file to make sure the name in those images match the name at the beginning of the file.
Occasionally the information on the film notes will not match the images that are on the film. If this is the case, please use the information from the images, not the film notes. If you have any questions regarding this project please contact the project owner or one of the alternate contacts.