FamilySearch Wiki:Wiki Project Indiana Tasks - Cemetery Intro
WikiProject Indiana Wiki Project Indiana Tasks - Cemetery Records Intro
The purpose of this task is to add an introduction to cemetery records on Indiana county pages.
This task is beginner task and requires basic experience with copying and pasting in wikitext.
1. Check the Assignment Chart below to choose a county to edit.
2. Sign up on the Assignment Chart to accept the task. Sign-up instructions are posted with the Assignment Chart below.
3. For each county, you will add information to the county page by editing in wikitext. Read the general instructions then follow the wikitext link to continued task directions about using wikitext to edit this project.
- If you have questions about editing, go to wiki help links under the heading Description.
4. Mark the Assignment Chart below to indicate you have finished the task.
Wikitext Editing Instructions
Part A - Adding the Intro Table
1. Click on your chosen county name in the Assignment Chart. This will take you to your county page.
2. Login to the FamilySearch wiki using your FamilySearch login name and password. Find the sign-in area in the top right-hand corner of the page.
3. Scroll to the heading Cemetery Records.
4. Open the Cemeteries heading on your county page for editing by clicking on the pen in square on the right-hand side of the page, opposite the heading title.
5. Click on the word wikitext in the toolbox at the top left of the edit box.
6. Place your cursor directly after the heading and hit the enter key on your keyboard. This takes you to a new line under the heading.
7. Return to the this task instruction page. Open this page for editing by clicking the pen in the square on the right-hand side of the page, opposite the heading title Adding the Intro Table.
8. Click on the word wikitext in the toolbox at the top left of the edit box. Now both pages are open for editing in wikitext.
9. You are going to copy and paste in wikitext the entire table in task #11. On the task instruction page scroll to the sentence which begins with Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage and death....' in task #11.
10. On the task instruction page scroll to the sentence which begins with Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage and death....' in task #11.
- a. Place your cursor before the first word Cemetery in that sentence.
- b. Left click and hold the mouse button down as you highlight the entire table to the sign |}
- c. Let go of the left mouse button. Now right click and select COPY.
- d. Return to your selected county page.
- e. Scroll to the line under the Cemeteries section heading, being sure your cursor is under the heading and that you are editing in wiki text (See steps 5-7)
- f. Right click the mouse button and select PASTE.
- g. The cemetery table should now be in place on the county page. Continue to step 13.
11. Cemetery records often include birth, marriage, and death information. They sometimes provide clues about military service, religion, or membership in an organization such as a lodge. These records are especially helpful for identifying children who died young or women who were not recorded in family or government documents.
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
|Family History Library|
|See Indiana Cemeteries for more information.|
12. Scroll nearly to the bottom of the page. Type a summary sentence in the Summary box saying something like, "Added cemetery table".
13. Click on the box "Save Page". The task is complete.
14. Follow the directions in the Assignment Chart section below to report your completed task.
See Indiana Cemeteries for more information.
Finding More Cemetery Records
Additional cemetery records can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Wiki Project Indiana Tasks - Cemetery Intro Cemetery Records in online catalogs like:
- WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Example of a Completed Section
If you are accepting this task:
- 1. Sign in to the wiki at the upper right-hand corner of this page. Use your FamilySearch account username and password.
- 2. Open the Assignment Chart for editing by clicking on the check mark in the box at the right opposite the Assignment Table heading.
- 3. Place your cursor in the box under the heading Name/Date Task Accepted and opposite your county of choice.
- 4. Not all counties are included in the chart below. If your county is not listed, this task is not needed for your county.
- 5. Type 4 tildes (~). This symbol is located on the upper left-hand part of your keyboard, next to the number 1. The ~~~~ is an electronic signature and will leave your user name and date when you signed.
- 6. Scroll nearly to the bottom of the page. Add a summary sentence in the Summary box saying something like, "Selected Adams County for adding Family History Center".
- 7. Click on the box "Save Page".
- 8. You are now signed up to complete this task.
If you are completing this task:
- Follow the same instructions as accepting the task, except place your cursor in the correct county box under the heading Date Completed. Change your summary sentence to something like, "Completed Monroe County for societies."
County Assignment Chart