Family History Library/Group Visit Options
Family History Library Group Visit Options
Fun, Engaging, and Interactive Experiences for Families, Youth and Adults
Here are some of the options your family or group can choose to do while at the Library. You can select a specific option, or mix and match activities to the interests of your family or group.
- Discovery experiences: Discover your story through fun, engaging, interactive experiences. You won't want to miss these fun activities. Discover, picture, and record your story; see yourself in the clothing of an ancestor; or gather the whole family for a photo with various backdrops and many more fun experiences.
- Boy Scout Genealogy merit badge workshop: The Family History Library offers a monthly Boy Scout Genealogy Merit Badge workshop, on the third Saturday of each month. Prior registration is required to attend. For more information see Genealogy merit badge workshop
- Brief Family History Library Online Orientation. Great for first-time visitors to the Library.
- FamilySearch Family Tree activities: Learn how to use the FamilySearch Family Tree in a highly-interactive, fun presentation. (60 minutes)
- Historical Records Online: (30-60 minutes) Learn how to search through historical records on Familysearch.org and other online databases to find your ancestors.
- Finding Cousins/Descendancy Research Activity: An exciting, informative presentation to learn how to use descendancy research to find your cousins. (60 minutes)
- Capturing My Story Online: Enter information about your family in an online booklet. (20-30 minutes)
- FamilySearch Indexing: Learn how to index using the FamilySearch Indexing software. (60 minutes)
- Scavenger Hunt: A fun interactive activity for youth to learn about the Family History Library. Groups are divided into teams to find items on each floor of the Library. The first team back wins! (recommended for youth, 60 minutes)
Make a Reservation
Use the FamilySearch Family History Discovery Experiences reservation page to let us know about your group. If possible, schedule your group visit at least one week in advance. Click Library Hours to see the Library's hours and holiday schedule.
Family History Research Classes
In addition to the above options, classes are taught almost every day on how to do research in various geographical areas. Click Patron Class Schedule to see what classes are being offered during your visit (approximately 60 minutes per class).
Prepare for Your Visit
- Obtain a FamilySearch Account in advance. If your groups plans to learn about how to use FamilySearch Family Tree, you will have a much more productive experience if all of the members of your group obtain a FamilySearch Account (either an LDS account or FamilySearch account) before coming to the library. Go to the FamilySearch account link previously mentioned to obtain an account. When you come to the library, be sure to have each member of your group brings his or her username and password.
- Bring genealogical information. Have each member of your group bring some genealogical information about his or her family. For example, who in your family do you want to find more information about? If you have a specific name, a place where they came from, and an estimated birth, marriage or death date, your searching will be more successful.
- Bring enough leaders to help children and youth. If your group is primarily composed of children or youth, have enough leaders to help them have a fun and productive experience while at the same time maintaining respect for other guests in the library.
We look forward to your visit!