Fargo North Dakota Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours
Location Map: Location Map
Address: 2502 17th Ave S, Fargo, ND 58103
- Use the west door
- Wednesday: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm and 7:00 - 9:00 pm
- 1st Thursday: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Saturday: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm (except closed 4th Saturday)
- To make an appointment for other times, please contact the Stake TFH Consultant - Center, Luana Gilstrap, at 1-626-710-2582 (cell).
Holiday Closure Schedule:
- The Saturdays nearest Memorial Day, Easter and Labor Day.
- The entire weeks of Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's.
- The Saturdays of the LDS Church semi-annual General Conference, April 1 and September 30, 2017
- Also closed the day of the annual Moorhead Heritage Commission's Family History Workshop in September. if it doesn't fall on the 4th Saturday.
Calendar and Events
- Meetings: 2nd Sundays, 3:00 pm, in the Center
- FamilySearch Catalog: Microfilm and microfiche can be ordered through the FamilySearch Catalog and sent to this center. You will be notified by email when the items arrive.
- Patrons' Microfiche Collection -- a collection of fiche ordered by our patrons, assorted titles. Contain family histories, vital records, and other types of information.
- Indefinite Film Collection -- A large collection of Norwegian church records on microfilm and a variety of census rolls are on extended loan. Some of these are not available on the Internet yet.
- Book Collection: -- Books are being added to the FamilySearch catalog as time permits.
- ALL film and fiche in this center are listed in the FamilySearch catalog
Databases and Software
FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
As of January 2017, the list of available subscription websites includes:
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
- Alexander Street Press – The American Civil War Research Database
- Ancestry.com – Institutional Version
- ArkivDigital Online [Sweden]
- Find My Past – Institutional Version (British and U.S. sources primarily)
- Fold3.com – Formerly Footnote.(focus on military records)
- My Heritage – Library Edition
- Newspaper Archive – (Primarily U.S. newspapers, years covered varies by paper)
- Paper Trail
- ProQuest Obituaries – (A few Major U.S. papers, years covered varies)
Hardware and Equipment
- 4 computers, 2 microfilm readers, 1 microfiche reader and 1 Printer/copier/scanner
- Our Microfilm reader/scanner is not currently working. Please bring a digital camera if you wish to have a copy from film or fiche.
Other nearby Family History Centers from Fargo:
Staff Research Specialties
Minnesota, North Dakota and Midwest in general
Non-specialties, but experience: England, Ireland, Czech Republic, Germany
Resources in the Local Area
North Dakota Institute for Regional Studies, Fargo, ND
Historical and Cultural Society of Clay County, Moorhead, Minnesota.
Red River Valley Genealogical Society Bonanzaville, ND (just west of West Fargo)
(They moved from their Fargo location and are now open in a more spacious facility.)
Volunteer at the Center
We welcome volunteers from the community to help serve in the Family History Center. It's a great way to help others and to learn by doing. You need not be an expert. Ability to use a computer and willingness to become familiar with the FamilySearch website and resources are key. Contact the TFH - Consultant - Center at the telephone or e-mail listed above for more information.