Fargo North Dakota Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Fargo North Dakota Family History Center serves eastern North Dakota and northwestern Minnesota. Other Family History Centers in the area are located in Aberdeen, SD; Bemidji, MN; Detroit Lakes, MN; Grand Forks, ND; and Wahpeton, ND.
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours
- 2502 17th Ave S Fargo ND 58103 United States
- Use the west door
- 1 701-232-4003
Our hours have changed: We will now be open on Saturdays year round, rather than closed on Saturdays during the summer.
- Wed 9 am - 1 pm, 7 - 9 pm (One time closure August 13, 7-9 pm)
- 1st Thurs 9 am - 1 pm
- Sat 9 am - Noon (except closed 4th Saturday)
- To make an appointment for other times, please contact the director at 1-626-710-2582.
Holiday Closure Schedule:
- The Saturdays nearest Memorial Day, Easter and Labor Day.
- The entire weeks of Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's.
- The Saturdays of the LDS Church semi-annual General Conference, usually the first Saturday in April and October.
- Also closed the day of the annual Moorhead Heritage Commission's Family History Workshop in September. if it doesn't fall on the 4th Saturday.
Calendar and Events
Staff Training Meetings: 2nd Sundays, 3 pm, in the Center
- FamilySearch Catalog: Microfilm and microfiche can be ordered through the FamilySearch Catalog and sent to this center. You will be notified by email when the items arrive.
- A large collection of Norwegian church records on microfilm and a variety of census rolls are on extended loan. Some of these are not available on the Internet yet.
- ALL film and fiche in this center are listed in the FamilySearch catalog
- Books are being added to the FamilySearch catalog as time permits.
Databases and Software
FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software
and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
As of May 2016 the list of subscription websites available includes:
19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
Access Newspaper Archive -- (Primarily U.S. newspapers, years covered varies by paper)
Alexander Street Press – The American Civil War Research Database
Ancestry.com – Institutional Version
ArkivDigital Online [Sweden]
Find My Past – Institutional Version (British and U.S. sources primarily)
Fold3.com-- (focus on military records)
Historic Map Works -- Library Edition
My Heritage – Library Edition
ProQuest Obituaries -- (A few Major U.S. papers, years covered varies)
Hardware and Equipment
- Four computers, two microfilm readers, one microfiche reader
- Our Microfilm reader/scanner is not currently working. Please bring a digital camera if you wish to have a copy from film or fiche.
Staff Research Specialties
Minnesota, North Dakota and Midwest in general
Resources in the Local Area
North Dakota Institute for Regional Studies, Fargo, ND
Historical and Cultural Society of Clay County, Moorhead, Minnesota.
Red River Valley Genealogical Society, Bonanzaville, ND (just west of West Fargo) http://www.redrivergenealogy.com/
(They moved from their Fargo location and are now open in a more spacious facility.)
Volunteer at the Center
We welcome volunteers to help users of this center.