Fiji Church Records
|Fiji Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
The major religions in Fiji consist of the following per the 1996 census:
- Christian 53% (Methodist 34.5%, Roman Catholic 7.2%, Assembly of God 3.8%, Seventh Day Adventist 2.6%, other 4.9%)
- Hindu 34% (Sanatan 25%, Arya Samaj 1.2%, other 7.8%)
- Muslim 7% (Sunni 4.2%. other 2.8%)
- Other or unspecified 5.6%
- None 0.3%
- The Australia National University, Canberra has a significant collection of church records in Fiji for many denominations. Some of these are on microfilm and for sale.
A listing of current churches in Fiji is at: http://across.co.nz/Churches.Fiji.html
Research use: Uniquely identifies individuals and connects those in one generation to the next.
Record type: Church records kept by religious authorities of births/baptisms, marriages, and deaths/burials.
General: The compilation and preservation of church records is random.
Time period: 1854-present.
Contents: Names of the person and other family members, residence, relationships, dates and place of birth and baptism, marriage, death and burial. Baptisms include names of godparents; marriages includes the ages of the bride and groom; burials include the age of the deceased and cause of death.
Location: Churches and ecclesiastical archives.
Population coverage: 10% coverage for early periods; 50% coverage for the 20th century.
- The Family History Department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, “Family History Record Profile: Melanesia,” Word document, private files of the FamilySearch Content Strategy Team, 1987-2000.