Finland, Census, 1734-1860 (FamilySearch Historical Records)
What is in the Collection?
This collection consists of census records for Finland for the years 1734 to 1860. The records are in Swedish.
|This image needs a translation.You can help by adding an English translation of the image. (Instructions)|
The records usually contain the following information:
- Name of parish
- Census year
- Name of head of household
- Social or marital status
- May list the names of other members of the household
How Do I Search the Collection?
To begin your search it is helpful to know
- Name of your ancestor
- Parish of residence
To search the collection
⇒ Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒ Select the 'County' category
⇒ Select the "Year" category which takes you to the images.
Look at each image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
What Do I Do Next?
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Save a copy of the image or transcribe the information. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. Add this new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors.
For example, use the name and parish of residence to search for baptism, confirmation, marriage and death records in the church records
I Can't Find Who I'm Looking For, Now What?
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names.
- Look for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby parishes and communities.
Help with the Language
These records are in Swedish so you will need to be able to understand written Swedish. For help with reading the records, please see the following wiki articles:
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- “Finland, Census, 1734-1860.” Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2017. Citing National Archives Service of Finland, Helsinki, Finland.