Quebec First Nations
|Quebec Research Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
First Nations of Quebec
A list of tribes and contact information is found at Tribes of Quebec
- Canada. Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development. Indians of Quebec and the Maritime Provinces. FHL book 970.1 Al no. 2
- Colden, Cadwallader. The History of the Five Indians Nations of Canada FHL Book area 970.1 C673h 1755
- Native Peoples of Quebec. FHL book 970.1 N213
- Speck, Frank Gouldsmith. Naskapi, The Savage Hunters of the Labrador Peninsula. FHL film 989500
Brief biographies of 2,692 American Indians are included in:
- Trudel, Marcel. Dictionnaire des esclaves et de leurs propriétaires au Canada français (Dictionary of Slaves and Their Owners in French Canada). Ville LaSalle, Québec, Canada: Hurtubise HMH, 1990. (Family History Library book 971.4 H6t.) Text in French. Based largely on church records from 1690 to 1800.
- Eglise Catholique. Saint-Francois-Regis. Registres Paroissiaux, 1762-1876. FHL films 1031635- 1031638 (Listes des Familles Indiens)
- Eglise Catholique. Saint-Jean-Chrysostome. Registres Paroissiaux, 1826-1876. FHL film 1031559 - 1031561
Roman Catholic missionaries wrote the earliest descriptions of the native peoples of Quebec. These important documents have been reprinted in a bilingual edition. The copy of the original French or Latin document is on the left-hand page. The English translation is on the facing page. The reprint is:
- Thwaites, Reuben Gold, Editor. Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents: Travels and Explorations of the French Jesuit Missionaries among the Indians of Canada and Northern and North-western States of the United States, 1610–1791. 73 Volumes. 1895–1901. Reprint, Washington, DC, USA: Microcard Foundation, 1960. (On 502 Family History Library fiche 6082091–163.) Text in French and English. Indexes are in volumes 72 and 73. (On 18 Family History Library fiche 6082162–63.)
- A one-volume selection from Thwaites' book is:
- Kenton, Edna, Editor. The Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents. The American Library, Volume 23. New York, NY, USA: Albert & Charles Boni, 1925. (Family History Library book 970 F2jaj; on 7 fiche 6103978.) This is in English only. It includes the valuable introduction by Thwaites to the complete series.
Names and family relations of some American Indians are mentioned in other Catholic church records. An example is the parish registers of Saint-François-Xavier de Caughnawaga (Kahnawake) in Laprairie County. The parish was founded in 1667 as a mission to the Iroquois, and the parish registers begin in 1735 (Family History Library films 1290063–64). See Quebec Church Records for more information about Catholic records.
First Nations Reserves
- Francis, Daniel, and Larry Villeneuve. The Historical Background of Indian Reserves and Settlements in the Province of Québec. Revised. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Indian and Northern Affairs Canada, 1985. (Family History Library book 970.1 A1) WorldCat
- Indian Reserves in Quebec FHL book 970.1 B284i
- Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development, Indian Affairs Branch.Indians of Quebec and The Maritime Provinces, An Historical Review. FHL Collection WorldCat
- Secretariat des Activites Gouvernementales en Milieu Amerindien et Inuit (Quebec). Native Peoples of Quebec. FHL book 970.1 N213n WorldCat