Franklinton is a town in and the parish seat of Washington Parish, Louisiana.
Franklinton was founded in 1819, originally under the name of Franklin, but in 1826 the name was changed to Franklinton since there was already another town with the same name in St. Mary Parish. In 1826, representatives and citizens from both communities showed up at the state capitol in Baton Rouge to state their cases to keep the name Franklin. A compromise was reached by the Louisiana Legislature, allowing Franklin in St. Mary Parish to retain its name, while Washington Parish's parish seat would be known as Franklinton.
Records and Resources
- D. A. Varnado Store Museum
The two-story, century old structure was a hub for activity in the early days of Washington Parish as farmers came to town selling their produce and purchasing their needed supplies.