Freeman is an extinct plantation and town, now an unorganized territory (township) in the East Central Franklin townships of Franklin County, Maine. Freeman was settled in 1797 and incorporated as a town in 1808 from the Little River Plantation. Freeman's incorporation was surrendered in 1937.
Other names: Township 3 R2 West of Kennebec River; Little River Plantation; Falmouth; Falmouth Township.
Records. Residents of Freeman were enumerated in West Portland in the 1800 federal census.
Freeman town and vital records, 1843-1877, are preserved in Strong, Maine. A microfilm copy of Freeman town and vital records is available from the Family History Library on film 012069 Item 5. See also George A. Thompson, and Janet Thompson, A genealogical history of Freeman, Maine, 1796-1938 : in three volumes (Bowie, Maryland : Heritage Books, 1996). At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974.172/F2 D2t.