Gayton, Norfolk Genealogy
|Poor Law Union||Freebridge Lynn|
|Registration District||Freebridge Lynn|
|Parish registers: 1702|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
GAYTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union and hundred of Freebridge-Lynn, W. division of Norfolk, 7 miles (E.) from Lynn. 
Gayton St Nicholas is an Ancient parish in the Diocese of Norwich.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Freebridge Lynn 1837-1938
- King's Lynn 1939-1974
Gayton, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Gayton, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 117/ 1-9, 25-26
This parish's registers do not appear on FamilySearch as no microfilm for the parish is held
A search of the FamilySearch Catalogue identifies the following Archdeacon's transcripts:
| Baptisms and burials 1600-1611, 1623-1636, 1668-1812 Marriages 1600-1611, 1625-1636, 1668-1812
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1526742 Item 14
Freebridge Lynn Union Workhouse registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Freebridge Lynn Union Workhouse Online Records|
Browse Bishop's Transcript Images on FamilySearch
Non-Church of England denominations identified in Gayton include: Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
Gayton Methodist chapel was founded in 1812.
Norfolk Record Office reference SO 197/8/1-29, 900X6 Norfolk Non Conformist Chapel survey
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438857.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Gayton on GenUKI
- Parish Info
- Information Article about the Church
- Church of St Nicholas Gayton on listed buildings
- Gayton on Norfolk Churches (church images)
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 283-287 Date accessed: 18 March 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 25 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 8 February 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Church of England Bishops' Transcripts Parish Search/Gayton', FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 11 April 2016.