Georgia Probate Records
|Georgia Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
- Georgia, Wills and Probate Records, 1742-1992, ($), index and images, incomplete.
- Georgia, Probate Records, 1742-1975 Images.
- Georgia's Virtual Vault Colonial Will Books Index and images.
- Georgia's Virtual Vault Colonial Wills Index and images.
- Abstracts of colonial wills of the state of Georgia, 1733-1777 at FamilySearch
- 1733 – 1780 Wills, Colony of Georgia, at Georgia Archives - index and images.
- 1742 – 1990 Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch images
- 1742 – 1992 Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1754 - 1777 Estate records from estates probated in the Colony of Georgia, 1754-1777. These records are from Record Group 49-1-1, Colony of Georgia--Estate Records.
To see a listing of all Family History Library Georgia probate resources, use the FamilySearch Catalog:
- Enter United States, Georgia as the Place
- Enter Probate as the Subject
The listing will include resources of online indexes and images as well as resources available at the Family History Library. Also, community Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
The colonial courts of Georgia kept some early probate records, but few records from the colonial period exist today. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates in each county has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Many probate records to the 1930s and 1940s are at the Georgia Department of Archives and History and the Family History Library on microfilm. The Family History Library, for example, has probate records from Fulton County that include letters of administration, guardianship, executors, inventories and appraisements, bonds, 12-months support, minutes, annual returns and vouchers, bills of sale, and wills. These are generally from the years 1829 to 1930.
Important published indexes of probate records include:
- Index to Probate Records of Colonial Georgia, 1733-1778. Atlanta, Georgia: R. J. Taylor, Jr., Foundation, 1983. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 975.8 P2i.
- Abstracts of Colonial Wills of the State of Georgia, 1733-1777. Spartanburg, South Carolina: The Reprint Company, 1981. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Fiche 6126365 (2 fiche); Book 975.8 P2a, 1981.
- Brooke, Ted O. In the Name of God, Amen: Georgia Wills, 1733-1860: An Index of Testators to Wills. Atlanta, Georgia: Pilgrim Press, 1976. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Film 1036842 Item 1; Book 975.8 P2b