Glenn County, California Genealogy
Guide to Glenn County, California ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Glenn County, California|
Location in the state of California
Location of California in the U.S.
|Founded||March 11, 1891|
|Address|| Glenn County Courthouse|
526 W Sycamore St
PO Box 391
Willows, CA 95988
Phone: 530.934.6419 Glenn County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Parent County
- 4 Boundary Changes
- 5 Places/Localities
- 6 Resources
- 6.1 Bible Records
- 6.2 Biography
- 6.3 Cemeteries
- 6.4 Census
- 6.5 Church History and Records
- 6.6 Court Records
- 6.7 Crime and Criminals
- 6.8 Directories
- 6.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 6.10 Gazetteers
- 6.11 Genealogy
- 6.12 History
- 6.13 Land and Property
- 6.14 Maps
- 6.15 Migration
- 6.16 Military History and Records
- 6.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 6.18 Newspapers
- 6.19 Obituaries
- 6.20 Periodicals
- 6.21 Probate Records
- 6.22 Repositories
- 6.23 Societies
- 6.24 Taxation
- 6.25 Vital Records
- 6.26 Voting Registers
- 6.27 Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
- 6.28 Websites
- 6.29 References
Glenn County, California Record Dates
County Clerk Recorder has birth records from 1887
death records from 1905 marriage and land records from 1891
Military Records from 1919; Superior Court has probate and court
The county was named for Dr. Hugh J. Glenn, who was the largest wheat farmer in the state during his lifetime, and a man of great prominence in political and commercial life in California. The County Seat is Willows and was founded 1891. It is located in the North Central area of the state.
For animated maps illustrating California county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation California County Boundary Maps" (1850-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
- Glenn County Biography Index (CAGenWeb Project)
The following web site may have additional information on Glenn County cemeteries.
- Interment.net California cemetery records by County.
For tips on accessing Glenn County, California Genealogy census records online, see: California Census.
Church History and Records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about California denominations, view the California Church Records wiki page.
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Glenn County, California Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section California Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See California Land and Property for additional information about early California land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Military History and Records
- Glenn County Military Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Naturalization and Citizenship
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Glenn County, California Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
The county clerk is usually the custodian of probate records. The records include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
You can obtain copies of the original probate records (such as wills and estate files) by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for California - Glenn - Probate records.
Online Probate Records
- 1782 – 1999 California Wills and Probate Records 1782-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1833 – 1991 California Probate Estate Files 1833-1991 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
California tax records complement land records and can supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page California Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records. The State office has records since July 1905. For earlier records, contact the County Recorder. See also How to order California Vital Records
- 1812 - 1988 - California Births and Christenings, 1812-1988 at FamilySearch — index
- 1905 - 1995 - California Birth Index, 1905-1995 at FamilySearch — index
- 1905 - 1910 - Glenn County Births for 1905-1910 (Genealogy Trails)
- Early Glenn County Birth Notices (Genealogy Trails)
- 1850 - 1945 - California Marriages, 1850-1945 at FamilySearch — index
- 1850 - 1952 - California, County Marriages, 1850-1952 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1854 - 1885 - Western States Marriage Index.
- 1960 - 1985 - California Marriage Index, 1960-1985 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - 1939 - California Death Index, 1905-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1940 - 1997 - California Death Index, 1940-1997 at FamilySearch — index
- 1892 - 1898 - Glenn County, California Great Register of Voters for the years 1892-1898 (Genealogy Trails)
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Glenn Genealogy Group
1121 Marin Street
Orlans, CA 95963
- Glenn County, CA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- California Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- California Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Glenn County CAGenWeb
- USGenWeb Archives
- Family Search Catalog
- Glenn County, CA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy}
- Glenn County, California Genealogy Trails
- Glenn County Research, California State Genealogical Alliance
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 62-75. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Glenn County, California. Page 84 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogy Trails History Group, “Glenn County, California Genealogy and History”, http://genealogytrails.com/cal/glenn/#.WQeWPjEzqM8 5/01/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Glenn County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_County,_California 5/01/2017.