Gornal, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Gornal, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Dudley|
|Parish registers: 1823|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1823|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
GORNALL, LOWER, an ecclesiastical district, inthe parish of Sedgley, union of Dudley, N. divisionof the hundred of Seisdon, S. division of the county of Stafford, 2 miles (W.) from Dudley There are places of worship for Baptists, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans; and attached to the church is a national school. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Gornall parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free FREG - Search under Sedgley|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|GORNALL ST JAMES PARISH (1823) Online Records|
Deposited parish registers at Staffordshire Record Office Bap 1637-1927 Mar 1637-1946 Bur 1637-1947 (early records are BT's
Lichfield Record Office holdings of Bishop's Transcripts Bap 1660-1856 Mar 1660-1837 Bur 1660-1856 missing 1673/1675, 1708-1710, 1717-1720
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Gornal, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474619.
Poor Law Unions
Poor Law Union is Dudley
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers<br>
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 315-319. Date accessed: 26 October 2012.
- 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 14 August 2014.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8