Goshen County, Wyoming Genealogy
Guide to Goshen County, Wyoming ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
It was organized on January 6, 1913 with Torrington as its county seat. Named for Goshen Hole, a basin in the area which is to the south of a range of hills along the North Platte River. It is located in top center area of the state. 
Goshen County Courthouse
Goshen County, Wyoming Record Dates
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
The following are locations in the county:
Business, Commerce, and Occupations
The following web site has additional information on Goshen county cemeteries.
- Interment.net Wyoming cemetery records by county.
State Census Records
Federal Census Records
Federal Censuses were taken for Wyoming starting in 1850. For links to Federal census indexes, see Wyoming Census.
For tips on accessing Goshen County, Wyoming Genealogy census records online, see: Wyoming Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Wyoming denominations, view the Wyoming Church Records wiki page.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
Land and Property Records
Online Land Records
- Land Patent Search - index to federal patents and homesteads on the Bureau of Land Management website, some images available
- 1796 - 1907 - U.S. General Land Office Records, 1796-1907 at Ancestry - index, info taken from Bureau of Land Management website
- 1861 - 1936 - U.S. Homestead Records 1861-1936 at Ancestry.com - ($), index and images
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Wyoming Land and Property for additional information about early Wyoming land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Goshen County, Wyoming Genealogy. County and town histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Wyoming Local Histories.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Interactive Formation Boundary Map of Wyoming - shows boundary changes for Wyoming Counties
- Historical Maps and Atlases of wyoming - maps and atlases of Wyoming
Early migration routes to and from Goshen County, Wyoming Genealogy for European and African American settlers included:
No known military units were raised specifically from Wyoming as it did not become a state until 1890. However men from the territories that became Wyoming fought in other units during the Civil War.
- 1861 -1865 Dakota Territory Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.— index
- 1890 United States Census of Union Veterans and Widows of the Civil War, 1890 at FamilySearch.— index
World War I
For further information see Wyoming Military Records.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Wyoming Newspapers Online
- Wyoming Newspapers.
- GenealogyBank - ($), contains images of Wyoming newspapers
- Newspaper Archive - ($), contains images of Wyoming newspapers
- Chronicling America - contains images of some Wyoming newspapers; searching tips
- Elephind - Free; search engine that retrieves newspaper images from other free newspaper websites
Wyoming Newspaper Catalogs
- U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present on Chronicling America - contains a list of all known newspapers and the dates they cover; once you locate a newspaper name, contact the local library to see if they have copies of the newspaper
In most counties in Wyoming, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Wyoming- Goshen - Probate records.
Wyoming tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records.
See also How to order Wyoming Vital Records, order electronically online $ or download an application for Wyoming Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail. For records more than 50 years old visit Wyoming State Archives
- Western States Marriage Index - Index, incomplete,over 122 marriages 8 Jan 1913 to 19 Apr 1917 list of counties included
- 1867 - 1941 Wyoming Marriages 1867-1941 at findmypast ($), index.
- 1877 - 1920 Wyoming, Marriages, 1877-1920 at FamilySearch— Index
- 1877 - 1920 Wyoming, Marriages, 1877-1920 at MyHeritage ($) — index.
- Wyoming Death Index at Wyoming State Archives — index (currently contains only A-E, it is a work in progress)
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
County, Township and City Societies
- Goshen County Chapter
Torrington, WY 82240
- Goshen County Chapter
- Goshen County Library
2001 East A St
Torrington, WY 82240-2825
Phone: (307) 532-3411
Fax: (307) 532-2169
Library Director: Joan Brinkley, Director
- Goshen County Library
- Goshen County, WY History, Records, Facts and Genealogy on Genealogy Inc
- Wyoming Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wyoming Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Genealogy Trails
- FamilySearch Catalog
- http://genealogytrails.com/wyo/goshen/history_index.html accessed 11/11/2016
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 766. Goshen County, Wyoming
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Goshen County, Wyoming," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goshen_County,_Wyoming#Communities accessed 21 November 2016.
- Jim Tompkins, "The Oregon Trail 1841-1848 Map III" in Oregon Trail Landmarks at http://www.oregonpioneers.com/OTMap3.jpg (accessed 18 July 2011).
- "Oregon California Trails Association" at http://octatrails.micromaps.com/ (accessed 18 July 2011).
- "The Pioneer Story: The Mormon Pioneer Trail" in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at http://lds.org/gospellibrary/pioneer/pioneerstory.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).