Graham County, Kansas Genealogy
Guide to Graham County, Kansas ancestry, family history and genealogy, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Graham County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||February 26, 1867|
|County Seat||Hill City|
|Address|| Graham County Courthouse|
410 N. Pomeroy Street
Hill City, Kansas 67642-1645
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Graham County, Kansas Record Dates
Graham County Courthouse
410 N Pomeroy
Hill City, KS 67642-1645
Probate Judge has marriage and probate record.
Clerk District Court has divorce and court records.
Register of Deeds has land records. 
1867--Graham County was created 26 February 1867 from unorganized territory. County seat: Hill City 
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
- Nicodemus Historical Society - Nicodemus was established in 1877 and became the largest community established by freed salave following the Civil war. The site includes an ongoing project to identify descendants of the townspeople. Freed Slaves had been encouraged to settle in the Free State Kansas.
- Nicodemus National Park Service
- Images of Nicodemus, Graham County, Kansas
Graham County Cemeteries site lists the name of the cemeteries and a transcription of those cemeteries giving the name, date of birth, date of death, and remarks if any.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Kansas Cemeteries for more information.|
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Kansas Church Records.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kansas Land and Property for additional information about early Kansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Graham County, Kansas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Kansas Local Histories.
- Graham County was not organized until after the Civil War.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Graham County, Kansas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in Kansas, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, inventories, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Kansas, Graham and click Probate records.
Kansas tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Kansas Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Kansas Office of Vital Statistics or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Kansas Vital Records. For information about restrictions and costs for certificates, see the CDC Where to Write for Vital Records site.
- 1818 - 1936 Kansas, Births and Christenings, 1818-1936 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1885 - 1911 Kansas, Births and Christenings Index, 1885-1911 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1885 - 1930 Kansas, Deaths and Burials, 1885-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1885 - 1930 Kansas, Deaths and Burials, Index, 1885-1930 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1811 - 1911 Kansas, Marriages, 1811-1911 at FamilySearch — index
- 1840 - 1935 Kansas, Marriages, 1840-1935 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1855 - 1911 Kansas, County Marriages, 1855-1911 at Ancestry.com — images $
Societies and Libraries
Graham County Historical Society
414 North West
Hill City 67642
Graham County Historical Society
103 East Cherry
Hill City, Kansas 67642
Telephone Number: 785-421-2543 or 785-421-5421
Archives open by appointment and there is a fee for research.There is a fee of $20.00 for first hour then $10.00 each additional hour
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Graham County, KSGenWeb - free genealogy resources; part of the USGenWeb Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Graham County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Solomon Valley Chronicles - a website for genealogy and local history of Graham, Norton and Sheridan Counties.
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 232-245. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Graham County, Kansas page 250, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).