Grant County, Wisconsin Genealogy
Guide to Grant County Wisconsin ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Grant County, Wisconsin|
Location of Wisconsin in the U.S.
|Founded||December 8, 1836|
|Address|| Grant County Courthouse|
111 S Jefferson
Lancaster WI 53813;
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Historical Facts
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Bible Records
- 5.2 Biography
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church History and Records
- 5.6 Court Records
- 5.7 Crime and Criminals
- 5.8 Directories
- 5.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 5.10 Gazetteers
- 5.11 Genealogy
- 5.12 History
- 5.13 Land and Property
- 5.14 Maps
- 5.15 Migration
- 5.16 Military History and Records
- 5.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.18 Newspapers
- 5.19 Obituaries
- 5.20 Periodicals
- 5.21 Probate Records
- 5.22 Repositories
- 5.23 Societies
- 5.24 Taxation
- 5.25 Vital Records
- 5.26 Voting Registers
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Grant County, Wisconsin Record Dates
Grant County Courthouse
111 S Jefferson
Lancaster WI 53813;
Register of Deeds has birth and death records from 1876, marriage records from 1840 and land records from 1837;
Register in Probate has probate records from 1840;
Clerk of Court has divorce and court records;
Veterans Service Officer has military records
For animated maps illustrating Wisconsin County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Wisconsin County Boundary Maps" (1790-1961) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
- Biographies, acounts, and History of Grant County Wisconsin
- Biographies of Grant County, Wisconsin on Genealogy trails
- Biography Index to "History of Grant County, Wisconsin, 1881"
- Grant County Biographies Index, 1901
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Wisconsin Cemeteries for more information.|
- Tombstone Photograph Pages USGenWeb Archives Project, Wisconsin
- Listing of Names Grant County Genealogical Society has copied the Grant County cemeteries and arranged the names alphabetically by surname on 3x5 cards. ($)
- 1855 - 1855 Wisconsin State Census This census includes name of head of family; other individuals in the household are identified by sex and race, number of deaf and dumb, blind, insane and foreign born.
- 1865 - 1865 Wisconsin State Census Name index and images of the 1865 State Census which names the head of household. Most records have been destroyed but schedules exist for the following counties: Dunn, Green, Jackson, Kewaunee, Ozaukee, and Sheboygan.
- 1875 -1875 Wisconsin State Census Identifies head of household by name.
- 1885 - Wisconsin State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images. Search indexed census. Identifies by name of head of household. Other information is statistical and identifies the rest of the household by race, gender and country of birth.
- 1895 - Wisconsin State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images. Identifies head of household by name. Other information is statistical.
- 1905 - Wisconsin State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — Name index and images of population. Enumerates by name all inhabitants.
- 1850 - 1850 Mortality Schedule USGenWeb Archives
- 1860 -1860 Mortality Schedule USGenWeb Archives
- 1870 - 1870 Mortality Schedule USGenWeb Archives
- 1880 - 1880 Mortality Schedule USGenWeb Archives
Church History and Records
- Lancaster Church records.
Fennimore and Castle Rock
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Fennimore and Castle Rock, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com.
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Plattville, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com.
St. Peter's Lutheran Church, Fennimore
- Records of St. Peter's Lutheran Church, Fennimore, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com.
Crime and Criminals
- City School Instructors, School Directory Platteville, Wisconsin 1936 USGenWeb Archives
- State College Faculty, School Directory Platteville, Wisconsin 1936 USGenWeb Archives
- State Teacher College Students, School Directory Platteville, Wisconsin 1936 USGenWeb Archives
- State Teachers College in Platteville, Grant County, WI. List of people who took classes during the summer session of 1934 - All of the information came from the school's "Annual Catalog 1935-1936." USGenWeb Archives
- State Teachers College in Platteville, Grant County, WI. Roster of Students for 1935-1936. - All of the information came from the school's "Annual Catalog 1935-1936." USGenWeb Archives
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Website about the town of Livingston, how the town became to be, its people, biographies, and genealogical information.
Land and Property
- Bureau of Land Management, Wisconsin Land Patents Database (USGenWeb Archives)
Military History and Records
Civil War service men from Grant County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Grant County.
- - 2nd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Companies C and L
- - 3rd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Companies G, H and M
- - 6th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company C
- - 7th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Companies C, F and H.
- - 10th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company F
- - 11th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company C, many men from the town of Waterloo, which is part of Jefferson County and Grant County
- - 12th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company K
- Grant Co., WI Pensioners On The Roll, January 1, 1883 USGenWeb Archives
World War I
- Grant County, World War I Casualties USGenWeb Archives
- Grant County, Wisconsin, List of Mothers and Widows of American World War I Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines Entitled to Make a Pilgrimage to theWar Cemeteries in Europe, 1930 USGenWeb Archives
World War II
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Some Grant County Obituaries Scroll down to individual obituaries. USGenWeb Archives
- 1800 – 1987 Wisconsin Wills and Probate Records 1800-1987 at Ancestry.com — images and index $
- 1848 – 1948 Wisconsin Probate Estate Files 1848-1948 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
- Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Cassville Historical Society
Grant County Genealogical Society
Grant County Historical Society
Lower Wisconsin River Genealogical & Recasearch Historical Center
- 1826 - 1926 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Birth Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1826 - 1908 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908 at Ancestry.com — index $
- Grant County, Wisconsin Birth Records - Earliest to 1891 - USGenWeb Archives
- 1836 - 1930 Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- 1867 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Records, 1867-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1835 - 1968 Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1959 - 1997 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1959-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Grant County, WI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Grant County, WIGenWeb Project
- Grant County, USGenWeb Archives
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. page 756 Grant County, Wisconsin (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).