Great Britain Births and Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known Issues
| This page was created by FamilySearch Historical Records personnel. It details problems identified within this collection and answers to those problems.
If you wish to comment, please visit the talk page to post your comments.
Question #1: I would like to order the film for this record. How do I know that I have the correct film?
Answer #1: It is best to perform a Catalog search on the film number and read the notes to determine if you have the correct film number (occasionally, the incorrect number will be shown on the indexed record). Several of the records are tied to multiple films as well. When that is the case, there will be several source films listed.
To perform a catalog search, follow these steps:
- Click the Catalog at familysearch.org
- Under Search, choose Film Numbers from the drop down list
- Key the film number into the ‘For’ box
- Press the Search button
- Click on the Title to view notes about the film.
Question #2: I have searched for a person and found two results. All of the information is the same, except the place of birth, they are different. Which one is correct?
Answer #2: When a search yields several records for the same person, and the information in the indexes do not match, you can check the Catalog (as described in Answer #1 above) to verify the correct location. The following is a list of location errors we are aware of:
• Film 989750 is for Drum, Roscommon, Ireland, not $, $, $; the records do not belong in this collection.
Question #3: Occasionally, there are special characters (i.e. - $, ?, *, etc) that appear in the place name location. How can I see the correct information? For example, see Batch C00295-4
Answer #3: These characters have no meaning and are there in error. The place name is not in the index.
If you encounter additional problems with this collection, feel free to report them at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information:
- If searching a specific collection: please include the name of the collection; include all search criteria used, including name, event, dates and places.
- If reporting a technical issue: please include your operating system and browser version, such as Windows 7 and Internet Explorer.
Your assistance will help ensure that future revisions will be considered.
Return to the Great Britain Births and Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records) Learn More page.
Return to the Great Britain Births and Baptisms, 1571-1977 collection at FamilySearch.org.