Canford Magna, Dorset Genealogy
Guide to Canford Magna, Dorset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Canford Magna, Dorset|
|Poor Law Union||Poole|
|Parish registers: 1563; Separate registers exist for Canford Magna St Andrew beginning 1680|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1813|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of Canford Magna and Poole|
|Location of Archive|
|Dorset Record Office|
CANFORD (Great), a village and a parish in Poole district, Dorset. The village stands on the river Stour, near the Southwestern railway, 2 miles E of Wimborne Minster. "Great Canford" was one of the names of this administrative unit which we associate with Canford Magna.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241340.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Dorset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, publ. London and Edinburgh: 187. Date accessed: 06 July 2103.
- Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-2001, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.