|Greece Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Greece is a country in Southeastern Europe located at the crossroads of Europe, Asia, and Africa. It is bordered by Albania, Macedonia, Bulgaria, and Turkey. Greece belonged to the Ottoman Empire from the fifteenth century to 1821. The official language is Greek.
Getting Started with Greece Research
Links to articles on getting started with Greece research.
Greece Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Greece research.
More Greece Research Tools
Research tools can include resources that assist in locating correct records to search and determining the correct locality to search in. Below are links and Wiki articles to research tools in Greece.
- Order birth and death records - If you want to look at this site in English do not click on the British Flag instead go to Google Translate, if you are using Chrome right click and choose to translate in English. Then select Region and Prefectures then Select Municipality. You will see the contact information for that Municipality. If you email them give them as much information on the person you are searching for and your information.
- Greek Genealogy – Family History: This site leads to a list of Counties (NOMOS) which the Family History Library has Microfilms for. Not all NOMOS have been filmed and all records are in Greek or Turkish. Go to "Microfilmed Records" and click on "Microfilm List". It also refers to reference books available at the Library. For information on how to do research in Greece, sources in Greece etc. click on "Instructions for Family History Research"
- Heraldic & Genealogical Society of Greece
- Greek Genealogy Home Page
- Dimitri's Greek Heritage Page
- American Hellenic Educational Progressive Association (AHEPA)
- Foundation of the Hellenic World
- Greek Archive Film Foundation
- Hellenic Communication Service
- Kythera Heritage website
- Digital Library of Modern Greek Studies, Anemi (Greek Almanac of 1837)
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in resourcing your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records
- Family History Center locator map
- Wikipedia contributors, "Greece," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greece, accessed 23 March 2016.