Greenup County, Kentucky Genealogy
Guide to Greenup County, Kentucky ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Greenup County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 12, 1803|
- 1 Greenup County Kentucky Courthouse
- 2 Greenup County Kentucky History
- 3 Greenup County Kentucky Places/Localities
- 4 Greenup County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 African American
- 4.2 Bible
- 4.3 Biographies, Family Histories/Trees, GEDCOM files etc.
- 4.4 Cemeteries
- 4.5 Census
- 4.6 Church
- 4.7 Court
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Newspapers
- 4.13 Obituaries
- 4.14 Probate
- 4.15 Taxation
- 4.16 Vital Records
- 5 Greenup County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Greenup County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- 7 Greenup County Kentucky Genealogy References
Greenup County Kentucky Courthouse
Greenup County Kentucky History
For animated maps illustrating Kentucky county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Kentucky County Boundary Maps" (1776-1939) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1937 A disaster destroyed some records.
Greenup County Kentucky Places/Localities
Greenup County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
Biographies, Family Histories/Trees, GEDCOM files etc.
The following web sites have additional information on Greenup county cemeteries.
- Interment.net Kentucky cemetery records by county.
- ePodunk list of Greenup County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
For tips on accessing Greenup County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Greenup County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- 1861-1865 - Kentucky Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Kentucky Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1912-1950 - Kentucky Confederate Pension Applications 1912-1950 at FamilySearch — index and images
Regiments. Service men in Greenup County, Kentucky Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Greenup County, Kentucky Genealogy:
- - 2nd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Companies E, I and L.
- - 2nd Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Companies E, I and L.
- - 22nd Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Companies B, C and F.
- - 39th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Companies A, D and H.
- - 53rd Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Companies I and K.
- - 54th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Companies A, C, F and H.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Greenup County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
GenealogyBuff.com, Kentucky, Greenup County, Miscellaneous Obituaries (Scroll down the page to locate desired entries)
Greenup County Obituaries, KY Archives Project
Probate records are held by the Greenup County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Greenup County, Kentucky Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1822-1949 - Will Books 2 to 14 (1822-1949) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Greenup County, Kentucky Will Records: 1822-1843 at Ancestry.com (Free/$)
Online Probate Records
- 1774 – 1999 Kentucky Wills and Probate Records 1774-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1727 – 1990 Kentucky Probate Records 1727-1990 at FamilySearch — images
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Greenup County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Greenup County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records. See also How to order Kentucky Vital Records
- 1852-1859 - Greenup County Birth Index 1852-1859. Batch C517421 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Greenup County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517422 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1875 - Greenup County Birth Index 1875. Batch C517423 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1797-1954 - Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1852-1859 - Greenup County Marriage Index 1852-1859. Batch M517421 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1875 - Greenup County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517424 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1876-1878 - Greenup County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517425 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- Greenup County Kentucky USGenWeb-Marriage Records
Greenup County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Greenup County Historical Society
614 Main Street
Greenup, KY 41144-1036
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Greenup County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Greenup County, KY History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Greenup County Kentucky Archives Project
- KY Genealogy Forum
- Greenup County Kentucky USGenWeb
- Greenup County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Greenup County KY Genealogy (Kentucky Genealogy)
Greenup County Kentucky Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Greenup County, Kentucky page 271, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- May be used for free at Family History Center. To locate a center near you, click here.
- May be used for free at Family History Center. To locate a center near you, click here.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0b/Igikentuckygl.pdf.