- Parent County: Gregory County was created 8 May 1862 from unorganized territory.
- County seat: Burke 
- Interactive Formation Boundary Map of North Dakota - shows boundary changes for South Dakota Counties
- South Dakota Historical Boundary Changes - list of all boundary changes by county provided by Newberry Library
The following are locations in the county
- Landing Creek
- Pleasant Valley
- Star Valley
- East Gregory
- North Gregory
Business, Commerce, and Occupations
| Historical populations
State Census Records
Federal Census Records
Federal Censuses were taken for South Dakota starting in 1910. For links to Federal census indexes, see South Dakota Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about South Dakota denominations, view the South Dakota Church Records wiki page.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
Land and Property Records
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See South Dakota Land and Property for additional information about early South Dakota land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Online Land Records
Local histories are available for Gregory County, South Dakota Genealogy. County and town histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section South Dakota Local Histories.
- The capitol city saga. 1979. By Adeline S. Gnirk. Gregory, South Dakota : Gregory Times-Advocate. Online at: ; At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Fifty years in the Rosebud country of South Dakota. 1954. By William McDonald. Gregory, South Dakota : The Times-Advocate. Online at: ; At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Fort Randall. n.d. By Linda W. Slaughter. n.p.:n.p. Online at: .
- Gregory - Carlock history. 1977. By Gregory Historical Society. [Gregory, South Dakota?] : Gregory Historical Society. Online at: ; At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Pioneering in the Rosebud. 19--?. By Le Arlie Barry. S.l. : s.n. Online at: ; At various libraries (WorldCat).
- The saga of Ponca land. 1979. By Adeline S. Gnirk. Gregory, South Dakota : Gregory Times-Advocate. Online at: ; At various libraries (WorldCat).
- The saga of Sully Flats : comprising Lucas, Scissons, Turney, Turgeon and parts of Burke, Rhoades, Huston and Landing Creek Townships in Gregory County, South Dakota. 1976. By Adeline S. Gnirk. Gregory, South Dakota : Gregory Times-Advocate. Online at: ; At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Saga of the Missouri River reveille : comprising Pleasant Valley, Schriever, Lindley, Whetstone, Fairfax, Star Valley, and Randall Township, and Fort Randall in Gregory County, South Dakota. 1982. By Adeline S. Gnirk. Gregory, South Dakota : Gregory Times-Advocate. Online at: ; At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Yesterday and today in the Gregory area : a book about Gregory, South Dakota and its trade area relating some of its history and progress telling about its people. 1990. By Gregory-Dixon Historical Society. Gregory, South Dakota : Plains Printing. Online at: ; At various libraries (WorldCat).
Maps and Gazetteers
These collections are unique to South Dakota. You will find nationwide databases for military records on U.S. Military Online Genealogy Records and South Dakota Military Records.
World War I
World War II
For further information see South Dakota Military Records.
Naturalization and Citizenship
For more information see South Dakota Newspapers.
South Dakota Newspapers Online
South Dakota Newspaper Catalogs
- U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present on Chronicling America - contains a list of all known newspapers and the dates they cover; once you locate a newspaper name, contact the local library to see if they have copies of the newspaper.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Gregory County, South Dakota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in South Dakota, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for South Dakota, Gregory then click Probate records.
South Dakota tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records.
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
Gregory County Historical Society
C/O Clark Gies
502 1st St.
Fairfax, SD 57335
Fairfax Historical Society
PO Box 235
Fairfax, SD 57335
Telephone: 605-432-2351 or 432-9332
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_County,_South_Dakota accessed 1/31/2017
- ↑ http://genealogytrails.com/sdak/gregory/ accessed 1/31/2017
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Gregory County, South Dakota, p.624
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Gregory County, South Dakota," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_County%2C_South_Dakota accessed 4 November 2016.