Gunthorpe, Norfolk Genealogy
|Poor Law Union||Walsingham|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1602|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
GUNTHORPE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Walsingham, hundred of Holt, W. division of Norfolk, 5¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Holt. 
Gunthorpe St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the Holt deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
Gunthorpe is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 where it is listed with the names of Gunatorp and Gunestorp. The first tenant was Peter de Valognes
A 13th-14th century church, restored in the 19th Century. Attractively set in a large churchyard, it is a prominent local landmark.
The tower has fine chequered flush work battlements. The Victorian stained glass, put in during the 1860’s by the then Squire and Rector, Revd. Canon John Sparke, is of special interest.
The East window commemorates the death of his son at Balaclava in 1854 and was put in by William Warrington, a London designer.
The other windows are by Frederick Preedy of Worcester, who was the architect who built the school opposite the church (1867) and was in charge of rebuilding the chancel in the 1860’s.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
The Register Office, Fakenham Connect, Oak Street, Fakenham, NR21 9SR.
Tel: 01328 850111. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Gunthorpe, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Gunthorpe, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
Browse Bishop's Transcript Images on FamilySearch
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 549/1-7
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438862.
Genealogy From Periodicals
Elgar, Dennis. "They Did Not Move Around Much Before 1900." History of William Elgar and Susan Rolin, starting in 1801, with moves to Binham, Gunthorpe, Tasburgh, Engfield, Hales, Bedford, Leeds Yorkshire, with surnames Massingham, Butlar, Ramm, Livick, Brier, Prewett, Sheppard, Gilbert, Mills, Nicholson, McClarty. dated 1801-1978.Article in The Norfolk Ancestor, vol. 7 pt.11, Dec 1995, pages 432-435, Family History Library Ref. 942.61 B2j v, 7 n.6-13
Poor Law Unions
Walsingham Union was incorporated under the terms of the 1834 Act, and the union workhouse was built at Great Snoring, but not completed until 1838. The Walsingham Union Workhouse at Great Snoring was opened in 1838. It was situated close to the boundary between the parishes of Great Snoring and Thursford and was sometimes known as Thursford Workhouse. Poor Law Unions were abolished in 1930 and the responsibilities of Walsingham Union Board of Guardians were taken over by Norfolk County Council Guardians' Committee No. 7. From 1930 the former Workhouse became known as Walsingham Public Assistance Institution. On 26 and 27 June 1934 the remaining thirty inmates (including two infants but no children) were transferred to West Beckham and Gressenhall Institutions and Walsingham Institution officially closed on 30 June 1934. The building was subsequently adapted for use as a smallpox hospital. By 1976 the building was derelict and was demolished in the early 1990s.
Acquisition Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 26 February 1982 (C/GP 19/192-198) and on unknown dates.
Copies C/GP19/1-6, 131, 133-135, 137, 141, 143-146, 148, 150-151, 173-181 are on microfilm.
RelatedMaterial For records of Guardians Committee No. 7 (including the administration of Red House Children's Home in Little Snoring and the boarding-out of children), see C/GC 7. See Public Assistance Sub-Committee minutes, 11 July 1934 and 12 September 1934, C/C 10/455. The records of the County Architect's Department include plans of the alterations for use as a smallpox hospital dated February 1937, see C/AR 1/29-31. The one inch to one mile Ordnance Survey Map of 1954 designates the building 'smallpox hospital'.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Gunthorpe on GenUKI
- Parish Info
- Church Images
- Church and Village Images
- British History online
- Gunthorpe on Norfolk Churches
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 360-362. Date accessed: 25 March 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 25 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Church of England Bishops' Transcripts Parish Search/Gunthorpe', FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 11 April 2016.