Gwenddwr, Breconshire Genealogy
GWENDDWR (GWEN-DDWR), a parish, in the poor-law union of Builth, hundred of Tàlgarth, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 7 miles (S. by E.) from Builth. This parish, the name of which signifies "the fair water," is bounded on the east and north-east by the river Wye, which separates it from the county of Radnor, but is not navigable in this part of its course. It is also traversed on that side by the turnpike-road from Hay to Builth, which runs parallel and close to the river. The church, dedicated to St. Dubricius, has a substantial steeple, but possesses no other claim to architectural notice. There is a place of worship for dissenters, with a Sunday school held in it.
Gwenddwr Church is in the Diocese of Swansea and Brecon, in the community of Erwood in the county of Powys. Gwenddwr is supposed to have emerged in the 6thC AD as a monastic establishment. Jones claimed that St Dubricius had a seminary named after him on the banks of the Wye. For more information see Gwenddwr, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 388-393. Adapted. Date accessed: 24 January 2014.