Hanmer, Wrexham

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

WalesGotoarrow.pngWrexhamGotoarrow.pngHanmer

A guide to genealogy in Hanmer, with information on where to find birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial records; census records; wills; cemeteries; maps; etc.

Hanmer is a village, community and ecclesiastical parish in the County Borough of Wrexham, Wales.

Before 1974 the village was in the historic county of Flintshire and, between 1974 and 1996 in the County of Clwyd. In 1996 it became part of the modern County Borough of Wrexham.

Hanmer Parish Church

History

The village takes its name from the lake in Gredington Park, Hagena's Mere, although the identity of Hagena remains unknown.

References suggest that a church existed in Hanmer from about 1110. It was at this church, around 1383, that Marged Hanmer married Owain Glyndŵr.

This church was destroyed in 1463, during the Wars of the Roses, but was later rebuilt. However, in 1889, this church was destroyed in a fire.

The ancient parish of Hanmer consisted of the townships of:

  • Hanmer
  • Bettisfield (Welsh: Llys Bedydd)
  • Bronington
  • Halghton
  • Tybroughton
  • Willington

The parish lies in the easternmost part of the Maelor Saesneg and is surrounded in the main by England.

Hanmer

In 1836, the township of Bronington formed the new parish of Bronington. In 1879, most of the township of Bettisfield formed the new parish of Bettisfield. In 1948, parts of the townships of Tybroughton and Willington formed the new parish of Tallarn Green.

Hanmer has been associated with the Kenyon family, of Gredington, since the 15th century.

Administration

Years County
until 31 March 1974 Flintshire (detached)
1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996 Clwyd
from 1 April 1996 Wrexham

Census Records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464323.


The parish of Hanmer formed part of the Ellesmere Registrar's District.

Year Parts
1841
1851
1861
1871
1881
1891
1901

Church Records

The following Hanmer Parish Registers have been deposited at the Flintshire Record Office in Hawarden:

Baptisms 1563 - 1960
Marriages: 1563 - 1837
Burials 1563 - 1935

The records are incomplete however, many having been destroyed in the fire of 1889.

  • The Clwyd Family History Society have published several volumes of the Hanmer parish registers.
  • Copies of the Bishop's Transcripts of the Hanmer parish records have been microfilmed by the LDS church.
  • There are no official records available on the IGI for Hanmer parish.

Nonconformist Church Records

There are no official records available on the IGI for Hanmer parish.

Civil Records

The parish of Hanmer formed part of the Hanmer sub-district of the Ellesmere Registration District and any entries for births, marriages or deaths from 1837 in Hanmer will appear as Ellesmere in the GRO Indexes.

Poor Law Union

The parish of Hanmer became part of the Ellesmere Union when it was created on 14 November 1836. The workhouse was built in Haughton, Ellesmere. The records for the Ellesmere Union are held at Shropshire Record Office in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England.

Maps and Gazetteers

Web Sites