Hanson County, South Dakota Genealogy
Guide to Hanson County, South Dakota ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Business, Commerce, and Occupations
1905, 1915, 1925, 1935, and 1945 censuses may include unique information: Ethnic Background, Maiden Name, Church Affiliation and Military Service
- 1905 — South Dakota State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images
- 1915 — South Dakota State Census, 1915 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images
- 1925 — South Dakota State Census, 1925 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images
- 1935 — South Dakota State Census, 1935 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images
- 1945 — South Dakota State Census, 1945 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about South Dakota denominations, view the South Dakota Church Records wiki page.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
Land and Property Records
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See South Dakota Land and Property for additional information about early South Dakota land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Hanson County, South Dakota Genealogy. County and town histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section South Dakota Local Histories.
Maps and Gazetteers
- 1861-1941 - South Dakota, Grand Army of the Republic Membership Records, 1861-1941 at FamilySearch — index and images
Naturalization and Citizenship
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Hanson County, South Dakota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in South Dakota, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for South Dakota, Hanson then click Probate records.
- 1800 – 1985 North Dakota and South Dakota Wills and Probate Records 1800-1985 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
South Dakota tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records.
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Hanson County, South Dakota, p.625
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).