Harford County, Maryland Genealogy
|United States||Maryland||Harford County|
Guide to Harford County, Maryland ancestry, family history, and genealogy, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, and military records.
|Harford County, Maryland|
Location in the state of Maryland
Location of Maryland in the U.S.
|Founded||December 17, 1773|
|County Seat||Bel Air|
|Address|| Harford County Courthouse|
20 West Courtland Street
Bel Air, MD 21014
Harford County Website
- 1 Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Harford County Maryland Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church
- 4.4 Court
- 4.5 Family Histories
- 4.6 Gazetteers
- 4.7 Immigration
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Newspapers
- 4.13 Probate
- 4.14 Taxation
- 4.15 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
County Health Department has birth and death records.
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage and land records from 1779,
divorce and court records from 1803.
- Named for Henry Harford, the illegimate son of Frederick Calvert, 6th and last Lord Baltimore. Mr. Harford was the last Proprietary Governor of Maryland but did not inherit the title of Lord Baltimore because of his illegimatacy.
- Created 17 December 1773 from Baltimore County.
For animated maps illustrating Maryland county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Maryland County Boundary Maps" (1637-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1858-- Some records were destroyed in a fire.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
Harford County Maryland Places/Localities
- Aberdeen Proving Ground
- 1041 page index to Individuals Buried in Harford County at Harford County Historical Society website
- J.C. Taylor Marble Business Ledger Indexes. 1878-1890: Vol. 1; 1891-1934 (gaps): Vol. 2; 1906-1934: Vol. 3; 1906-1934: Vol. 4; 1935-1946: Vol. 5 Identifies information about people buying tombstones.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Maryland Cemeteries for more information.|
Partial Listing of Harford County Cemeteries
- Aberdeen Proving Ground Cemetery, APG
- Angel Hill Cemetery, Havre de Grace
- Ayres Chapel Cemetery, White Hall
- Baker's Cemetery, Aberdeen--Surnames A-F
- Baker's Cemetery, Aberdeen--Surnames G-O
- Baker's Cemetery, Aberdeen--Surnames P-Z
- Bethel Presbyterian Cemetery
- Cranberry United Methodist Church Cemetery, Aberdeen
- Darlington Cemetery, Darlington
- Dublin Ministry Baptist Church Cemetery, Darlington
- Emory United Methodist Church Cemetery, Hickory
- Franklin Baptist Cemetery, Darlington
- Hickory Baptist Cemetery, Forest Hill
- Holy Trinity Episcopal Church Cemetery, Churchville
- John Wesley Methodist Church Cemetery, Abingdon
- McKendree Methodist Episcopal Church Cemetery, Blackhorse
- Mt. Tabor United Methodist Church Cemetery, Bel Air
- Norrisville Cemetery, Norrisville
- Oak Grove Baptist Church Cemetery, Bel Air
- Old Salem Evangelical Cemetery, Near Jarrettsville
- St. Francis Byzantine Catholic Church Cemetery, Abingdon
- St. George's Episcopal Church Cemetery, Perryman
- St. James United Cemetery, Havre de Grace
- St. James AME Cemetery, Havre de Grace
- St. James UAME Cemetery, Darlington
- St. Paul's Lutheran Cemetery, Aberdeen
- Smith's Chapel UMC Cemetery, Churchville
- Southern Cemetery, Dublin
- Thomas Run M.E. Church Cemetery, Churchville
- Trappe Mission Baptist Cemetery, Darlington
- Wesleyan Cemetery, Aberdeen
- William Watters memorial Methodist Church Cemetery
Federal Census reports available 1790-1930 including slave and veterans schedules. For tips on accessing Harford County, Maryland Genealogy census records online, see: Maryland Census.
- Guide to Maryland Religious Institutions is not intended to be a complete listing of all Religious institutions in Maryland. It was originally based upon the churches recorded by the Federal Works Progress Administration during a records survey conducted from 1935 to 1941. It has been expanded by later acquisitions from religious organizations to the Maryland State Archives. The following records, taken from its collection, have been digitized and made available to view for free online:
- United Methodist, Abingdon Charge, Cokesbury Church, Abingdon, Md. (includes cemetery and church records 1850s-1980s)
Church of England
See also St. George's Parish
Free online index to thousands of Harford County court cases dating from 1700s to 1900s on The Historical Society of Harford County website.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- Surname Files at Harford County Historical Society
- Master Family Index to Binders at Harford County Historical Society
- Henry Peden's Partial Index to Special Genealogy Collections at Harford County Historical Society
- [Harris] Harris, Mrs. Norris. "The Harris Family of Baltimore and Harford Counties," The Maryland and Delaware Genealogist, Vol. 31, No. 2 (Spring 1990):68. FHL US/CAN Book 975 B2m.
- List of imported servants and transported convicts from Europe who served labor terms in Harford County, Maryland (work in progress), courtesy: Immigrant Servants Database. [Includes Richard J. Cox's abstracts of Maryland Gazette runaways.]
Through a Joint eGovernment Service of the Maryland Judiciary and the Maryland State Archives, free images and indexes of the complete series of Harford County Deed Books (1773-present) have been uploaded to their website: A Digital Image Retrieval System for Land Records in Maryland. (Requires free registration.)
- 1777-1778 - Harford County Land Index
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Maryland, Harford County on page 127.]
- "Harford County, Maryland, Oaths of Fidelity, 1778," The Maryland and Delaware Genealogist, Vol. 29, No. 4 (Fall 1988):126-127; Vol. 30, No. 1 (Winter 1989):10-11; Vol. 30, No. 2 (Spring 1989):46-47; Vol. 30, No. 3 (Summer 1989):88-89; Vol. 30, No. 4 (Fall 1989):126-127; Vol. 31, No. 1 (Winter 1990):6-7. FHL Collection 975 B2m
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Maryland, Harford County, pp. 149-151. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
- 1861-1865 - Maryland, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Maryland, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
Regiments. Service men in Harford County, Maryland Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Harford County, Maryland Genealogy:
- - 2nd Regiment, Maryland Eastern Shore Infantry, Company G, and H
- - 7th Regiment, Maryland Infantry, Company C, and H
- Harford County newspapers are identified in "Guide to Maryland Newspapers," available online, courtesy: Special Collections, Maryland State Archives.
- Probate Records, Colonial Index, 1634-1777 online at Maryland State Archives website - free
- Scanned images of wills, administrations, and inventories are available for free on FamilySearch.
- Indentures and Guardianships 1774-1809 at Harford County Historical Society website
- Estate Distributions 1846-1854 free index at Harford County Genealogical Society website
Online Probate Records
- 1604 – 1878 Maryland Wills and Probate Records 1604-1878 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1635 – 1743 Maryland Calendar of Wills 1635-1743 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1796 – 1940 Maryland Probate Estate and Guardianship Files , 1796-1940 at FamilySearch images
- 1783 - Harford County Tax List of 1783: This is an alphabetical index to names to all property owners assessed. The index cards at the Maryland State Archives include county, hundred, names of tracts of land and whether individuals were paupers or single males as provided in the law.
- 1896, 1902 - Harford County Personal Property Tax Valuations 1896 and 1902 at Harford County Historical Society website
- 1658 - 1940 Maryland County Marriages, 1658-1940 at FamilySearch — index .
- 1666 - 1970 Maryland Marriages, 1666-1970 at FamilySearch — index
- 1865 - 1899 Harford County Marriages 1865-1899 at Harford County Historical Society website
- 1900 - 1930 Harford County Marriages 1900-1930 at Harford County Historical Society website
- 1931 Harford County Marriages 1931 at Harford County Historical Society website
- Marriage Records - Maryland State Archives
- 1898 - 1944 Maryland Death Index 1898-1944
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Harford County, Maryland Genealogy, History and Facts (Genealogy Inc)
- The Harford County MDGenWeb Project, a member of The MDGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- "Harford Co.," in Genealogical Sources in Periodicals at The Maryland State Archives.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project, Harford County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project, Harford County. (Backup site)
- FamilySearch Catalog, Harford County
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Harford, Maryland page 317, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Wikipedia contributors, "3rd Maryland Regiment," http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Maryland_Regiment, accessed 31 May 2012.
- Wikipedia contributors, "6th Maryland Regiment," http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6th_Maryland_Regiment, accessed 31 May 2012.