Harvey County, Kansas Genealogy
Guide to Harvey County, Kansas ancestry, family history and genealogy and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Harvey County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||February 29, 1872|
|Address|| Harvey County Courthouse|
800 N. Main Street
Newton, Kansas 67114-0687
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Harvey County, Kansas Record Dates
Harvey County Courthouse
800 N Main
Newton, KS 67114
Probate Court has marriage records from 1800’s.
Clerk District Court has divorce, probate and court records from 1872.
Register of Deeds has land records from 1800’s. 
- 1872--Harvey County was created 29 February 1872 from McPherson, Sedgwick, and Marion Counties. County seat: Newton 
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
All cemeteries are listed and all burials are included both in the alphabetical index by cemetery and in the Biographical Database. All cemeteries and all known burials, 1871 through 2015, are included.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Kansas Cemeteries for more information.|
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Kansas Church Records.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kansas Land and Property for additional information about early Kansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Harvey County, Kansas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Kansas Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Harvey County, Kansas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in Kansas, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, inventories, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Kansas, Harvey and click Probate records.
Kansas tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Kansas Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Kansas Office of Vital Statistics or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Kansas Vital Records. For information about restrictions and costs for certificates, see the CDC Where to Write for Vital Records site.
- 1818 - 1936 Kansas, Births and Christenings, 1818-1936 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1885 - 1911 Kansas, Births and Christenings Index, 1885-1911 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1885 - 1930 Kansas, Deaths and Burials, 1885-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1885 - 1930 Kansas, Deaths and Burials, Index, 1885-1930 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1811 - 1911 Kansas, Marriages, 1811-1911 at FamilySearch — index
- 1840 - 1935 Kansas, Marriages, 1840-1935 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1855 - 1911 Kansas County Marriages, 1855-1911 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1855 - 1911 Kansas, County Marriages, 1855-1911 at Ancestry.com — images $
Societies and Libraries
Harvey County Historical Society
203 N Main
PO Box 4
Harvey County Genealogical Society
PO Box 75
Newton KS 67114
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Registration of German Alien Enemies: Index includes name, birthdate and birthplace
All natives, citizens, denizens or subjects of the German Empire in the US who were 14 years old and older were required to register as 'alien enemies'.
State Census indexes: Contains 3 1875 State Census databases from this area and some townships.
Harvey County Marriage License Index: This alphabetical index covers 1872-4/1913. Copies of originals are availabe from the Harvey County Historical Society.
Various other helpful genealogical indexes are availabe
All headstones in Harvey County have been photographed & indexed. We are currently collecting biographical and obituary information on all former residents. Free Society membership.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Harvey County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Harvey County Genealogical Society
- HCGS Memorial Tribute Database (All county headstones photographed)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 232-245. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Harvey County, Kansas page 251, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).