Hay, Breconshire Genealogy
HAY, a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Tàlgarth, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 15 miles (N. E. by E.) from Brecknock, and 154 (W. by N.) from London, on the road through Hereford to Brecknock, Carmarthen, and Pembroke-Dock. The Welsh name of this town is Tregelli, variously rendered Hazelton, "the town in the hazel grove," or simply "the town in the forest," and probably derived from its proximity to the extensive forest of Travele, Traneley, or Traneleia. The town is pleasantly situated on the southern bank of the river Wye, which here separates the counties of Brecknock and Radnor, but immediately below enters that of Hereford; and is bounded on the east by the small river Dulas, which falls into the Wye at this place. The ancient parochial church, dedicated to St. John, and situated in the centre of the town, was, in 1684, in sufficient repair to be used as a school-house, though it had long ceased to be appropriated to the performance of divine service. In 1700, part of this building fell down, since which time the whole has been removed, and the site is now occupied by a small prison, or lock-up house. The next church was dedicated to St. Mary, and situated at the western extremity of the town, overlooking the Wye. It was a small structure, in the early style of English architecture, with a square tower at the west end. There are places of worship for Baptists, Wesleyan Methodists, Independents, and Welsh Calvinistic Methodists.
Also known as Y Gelli parish. HAY, a parish and market town in the hundred of Talgarth, county Brecon, South Wales, 15 miles N.E. of Brecknock, and 156 from London. A tram railway of about 30 miles runs from Brecon through Hay to Kington. The town, which is called Tregella by the Welsh, occupies a beautiful spot on the river Wye, near the English border. For more information see Hay, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464301.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 411-418. Adapted. Date accessed: 24 January 2014.