Henry County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Henry County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Henry County, Georgia|
Location in the state of [[Georgia]]
|Founded||May 15, 1821|
|Address|| Henry County Courthouse|
345 Phillips Drive
McDonough, GA 30253-3425
Henry County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Bible Records
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church Records
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land and Property
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Naturalization
- 5.14 Newspapers
- 5.15 Occupations
- 5.16 Probate Records
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 6 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Henry County, Georgia Record Dates
Clerk of Superior Court
One Courthouse Square
McDonough, GA 30253
Telephone: (770) 288-8022
Fax: (770) 898-7573
Probate Court of Henry County
99 Sims Street
McDonough, GA 30253
1821--Henry County was created 15 May 1821 from Creek Indian Lands. County seat: McDonough 
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1824 Fire burned the courthouse.
1864 During the American Civil War, some county records were destroyed.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Georgia Cemeteries for more information.|
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Henry County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
Regiments. Service men in Henry County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Henry County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 19th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company G
- - 22nd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company K
- - 23rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company K
- - 27th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company H
- - 28th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company H
- - 30th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company E
- - 44th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Companies A and I
- - 53rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company F
- - 60th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company I
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
- Rainer, Vessie Thrasher. 1971. Henry County, Georgia: The Mother of Counties. (page 34-76) 975.8435 H2r
- Georgia. Court of Ordinary (Henry County). 1958. Confederate veterańs pension roll, 1890-1929. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. film 175343
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Henry County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Henry County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Online Probate Records
- 1742–1992 Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742–1990 Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch.org images
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- 1822-1834 - Wills and Bonds 1822-1834 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1834-1869 - Wills 1834-1869 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1822-1834 - Index to Wills and Bons, 1822-1834 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1834-1869 - Index to Wills, Book A, 1834-1869 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1867-1896 - Index to Wills, Book B, 1867-1896 Georgia Pioneers $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1785-1950 Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1808-1967 Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1828-1978 Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1699-1944 Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1822-1851 - Henry County Marriage Index 1822-1851. Batch M713061 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1851-1885 - Henry County Marriage Index 1851-1885. Batch M713062 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1851-1885 - Henry County Marriage Index 1851-1885. Batch M734973 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1851-1885 - Henry County Marriage Index 1851-1885. Batch M734974 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1933-1998 Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1914-1927 Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1928-1939 Georgia Deaths 1928-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Genealogical Society of Henry and Clayton Counties, Inc.
71 Macon Street
Post Office Box 1296
McDonough, Georgia 30253-1296
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Henry County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb Henry County, Georgia project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Henry County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Henry County, Georgia. Page 156 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/57/Igigeorgiael.pdf.