Hettinger County, North Dakota Genealogy
Guide to Hettinger County, North Dakota ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Information
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Business, Commerce, and Occupations
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census Records
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
- 2.11 Funeral Homes
- 2.12 Genealogies
- 2.13 Guardianship
- 2.14 Land and Property Records
- 2.15 Local Histories
- 2.16 Maps and Gazetteers
- 2.17 Migration
- 2.18 Military Records
- 2.19 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.20 Newspapers
- 2.21 Obituaries
- 2.22 Other Records
- 2.23 Periodicals
- 2.24 Probate Records
- 2.25 School Records
- 2.26 Tax Records
- 2.27 Vital Records
- 3 Research Facilities
- 4 Societies
- 5 Websites
- 6 Research Guides
- 7 References
The county was organized April 19, 1907. Hettinger County was named after Matthias Hettinger of Freeport, Ill., father-in-law of General E. A. Williams. The county seat is Mott.
Hettinger County Courthouse
336 Pacific Avenue
Mott, ND 58646
Hettinger County Website
Clerk District Court has birth, death and burial records from 1943, marriage, divorce, probate and court records, divorce, probate and court records from 1907;
Register of Deeds has land records
Hettinger County, North Dakota Record Dates
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
The following are locations in the county
Business, Commerce, and Occupations
- Odessa Digital Library for Hettinger county cemetery transcriptions providing name, date of birth, and date of death where available.
State Census Records
- 1885 - Dakota Territory 1885 Census Index at NDSU Archives – index only
- 1885, 1915, 1925 - North Dakota, Territorial and State Censuses, 1885, 1915, 1925 at Ancestry.com – ($), index and images
- 1915 - North Dakota Census, 1915 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images
- 1925 - North Dakota Census, 1925 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images
Federal Census Records
Federal Censuses were taken for North Dakota starting in 1910. For links to Federal census indexes, see North Dakota Census.
- [1910, 1920, 1930 - Hettinger County Census Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Church records can be found online, kept onsite at the church, or housed in a church archive or library. See North Dakota Church Records for more information on how to locate the records.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
Land and Property Records
When the United States acquired North Dakota, most of the land became available for homesteading or purchase from the federal government. After land was transferred from the government to private owners, the registrar of deeds in each county recorded the land transactions in the form of deeds and mortgages. For more information, see North Dakota Land and Property.
Online Land Records
- Index to Hettinger County BLM Land Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Land Patent Search - index to federal patents and homesteads on the Bureau of Land Management website, some images available
- 1796-1907 - U.S. General Land Office Records, 1796-1907 at Ancestry - index, info taken from Bureau of Land Management website
- 1861-1908 - U.S. Homestead Records 1861-1908 at Ancestry - ($), index and images
For more information see North Dakota Land and Property
Local histories, including those of the county, are available for Hettinger County. These histories can include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information.
- Hettinger County History Topics (Genealogy Trails)
Maps and Gazetteers
- Interactive Formation Boundary Map of North Dakota - shows boundary changes for North Dakota Counties
- North Dakota Maps at NDGenWeb -historical maps
- 1861-1865 - Dakota Territory Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.
- 1890 - United States Census of Union Veterans and Widows of the Civil War, 1890 at FamilySearch.
World War I
- 1917-1918 - North Dakota Military Men 1917-1918 at Ancestry ($)
- 1917-1918 - Roster of the men and women who served in the army or naval service (including the Marine Corps) of the United States or its allies from the state of North Dakota in the World War, 1917-1918, Vols. 1-4 at Ancestry ($)
- World War I Casualties, Hettinger County, North Dakota (Genealogy Trails)
World War II
- World War II Army Casualties, Hettinger County, North Dakota (Genealogy Trails)
- World War II Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Casualties, Hettinger County, North Dakota (Genealogy Trails)
- Korean War Casualties, Hettinger County, North Dakota (Genealogy Trails)
- Vietnam War Casualties, Hettinger County, North Dakota (Genealogy Trails)
For further information see North Dakota Military Records.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Online Naturalization Indexes and Records
- North Dakota Naturalization Records Index at NDSU Archives – index only, covers various dates and counties
For more information see North Dakota Newspapers.
North Dakota Newspapers Online
- GenealogyBank - ($), contains images of North Dakota newspapers
- Newspaper Archive - ($), contains images of North Dakota newspapers
- Chronicling America - contains images of some North Dakota newspapers; searching tips
- Elephind - Free; search engine that retrieves newspaper images from other free newspaper websites
North Dakota Newspaper Catalogs
- U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present on Chronicling America - contains a list of all known newspapers and the dates they cover; once you locate a newspaper name, contact the local library to see if they have copies of the newspaper
- State Historical Society of North Dakota - contains inventory and catalog of all known ND newspapers
- Hettinger County Obituaries and Death Notices from newspapers. (Genealogy Trails)
- Hettinger County Obituaries USGenWeb Archives
Probate records, including wills and estates, are at the county clerk's office. See also North Dakota Probate Records.
Online Probate Records
- 1878 – 1928 North Dakota and South Dakota Wills and Probate Records 1800-1985 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1914-1958 - Mott High School Graduates, 1914-1958 (Genealogy Trails)
County tax records are at the county treasurer's, auditor's or clerk's office in the county courthouse. Some tax records may have been moved to the North Dakota State Archives.
Birth, marriage, death, and divorce records may be recorded on registers, certificates, or other documents at the county clerk's office. Many records are also being digitized and put online. See North Dakota Vital Records for more information about availability and how to access them.
- Hettinger County Marriage Announcements from newspapers. (Genealogy Trails)
Online Death Indexes and Records
- 1892-present - NDDH Public Death Index, 1892-present at North Dakota Dept. of Health – index only
- Hettinger County Obituaries and Death Notices from newspapers. (Genealogy Trails)
- Hettinger County Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
North Dakota State University Archives
West Building 3551 7th Avenue
N Fargo, ND 58102
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- Hettinger County, USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- Hettinger County, USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog The FamilySearch catalog contains descriptions and access information for all genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) in their collection. Use Historical Records to search for specific individuals in genealogical records.
- Hettinger County, North Dakota Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Hettinger County Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Hettinger County Genealogy and History Genealogy Trails
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Hettinger County Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hettinger County, North Dakota. Page 524 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Hettinger County, North Dakota," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia.
- U.S. Census Bureau: Boundary Changes