Hinesburg was chartered on June 24, 1762. It was one of the earliest grants in this area of the state, although it took nearly twenty years before significant settlement took place; in 1785. One of the largest woolen mills in the area made cashmeres, flannel and stocking yarn here in the 1880's.
As the Chittenden county's population has grown and spread out from Burlington, Hinesburg has experienced a significant growth spurt over the past twenty-odd years (condos, housing developments and associated businesses). Despite this, the town retains its primarily agricultural character.  
1861 History and Tales of Hinesburgh, Vermont, Erastus Bostwick (1976) - find this book in a library.
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
The probate district for Hinesburg is Chittenden.
Chittenden District Probate Court
175 Main St.
PO Box 511
Burlington VT 05402
Phone: (802) 651-1518
Hinesburg Vermont Enrolled Militia records, 1861-1867 are available online.
The following is a list of major cemeteries in present-day Hinesburg. For location of all cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Chittenden County, website at this link.
- Burnitt Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Calkins Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Gilman Road Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Hinesburg Village Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Mead Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- ONeil Road Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Rhode Island Corners Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Tracey Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
Town Clerk Vital and Town Records, 1905-1999, can be found on FamilySearch (browse only images).
Hinesburg, Vermont Land Records, 1853-1900; general index, 1786-1902 can be found on FamilySearch (browse only images).
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the Hinesburg Town Clerk's Office. These include Records of births, marriages, and deaths, 1905-1999; indexes to births, deaths, marriages, 1857-1999, Family registration book from early settlement of the town, 1764-1906, and Land records, 1762-1853; index to land records, 1762-1950.
Hinesburg Town Clerk
10632 Vermont 116
Hinesburg, VT 05461
Libraries and Historical Societies
69 Ballards Corner
Hinesburg VT 05461
Phone: (802) 482-2878
- Hinesburg, VT History, http://www.virtualvermont.com/towns/hinesburg.html#about
- History of Hinesburg, VT http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vermont/ChittendenHinesburg.html