Holmes County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Holmes County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Holmes County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||January 8, 1848|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Cemeteries
- 5.3 Census
- 5.4 Church
- 5.5 Court
- 5.6 Land
- 5.7 Local Histories
- 5.8 Maps
- 5.9 Military
- 5.10 Newspapers
- 5.11 Obituaries
- 5.12 Probate
- 5.13 Taxation
- 5.14 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Holmes County, Florida Record Dates
Holmes County Courthouse
201 N Oklahoma Street
Bonifay, FL 32425
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage probate, divorce, court and land records.
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1870 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
1902 -- The Westville Courthouse was burned in 1902, and most early county records perished with it.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Places / Localities
Jackson • Walton • Washington
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|Tombstone Project||Veterans Administration National Cemeteries|
For tips on accessing Holmes County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census USGenWeb
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos USGenWeb
- Federal Census Information from National Archives USGenWeb
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives USGenWeb
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service USGenWeb
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- USGenWeb Archives Project Davis Federal Land Records, Holmes County
- USGenWeb Florida Territorial Land Records
Local histories are available for Holmes County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- 1902 1902 USGenWeb Archives Project Medical Directory for Bonifay
- 1821-1997 Maps of Florida
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of StateUSGenWeb
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of StateUSGenWeb
- Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps University of South Florida
- Florida State Military Files USGenWeb
- Florida state pension records from various wars Pension Transcriptions USGenWeb
War of 1812
- USGenWeb Archives Some Military Land Grants In Holmes Co. FL For Soldiers Of The War Of 1812 Project
- USGenWeb Archives Project Some Military Land Grants In Holmes Co. FL For Soldiers Of The Indian Wars
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885-1955 - Florida Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1955 at FamilySearch — images only
World War II
- USGenWeb Archives Project WWII Army Enlistees Names
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict distantcousin.com
- Florida Casualties in the Vietnam War distantcousin.com]
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Holmes County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- USGenWeb Early Florida Newspapers at the Florida State Library
- U.S. Hidden Ancestors Obituaries
- USGenWeb Obituaries Project Obituary transcriptions from Florida counties
Probate records are held by the Holmes County, Florida Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Holmes County, Florida Genealogy Courthouse. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1784 – 1990 FamilySearch Florida Probate Records 1784-1990
- 1810 – 1974 Ancestry.com $ Florida Wills and Probate Records 1810-1974
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1880 - 1935 FamilySearch Florida, Births and Christenings, 1880-1935
- 1877 - 1939 FamilySearch Florida, Deaths, 1877-1939
- 1900 - 1921 FamilySearch Florida, Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921
- 1877 - 1998 FamilySearch Florida, Death Index, 1877-1998
- 1927 - 2001 Ancestry.com $ Florida, Divorce Index, 1927-2001
- 1837 - 1974 FamilySearch Florida, Marriages, 1837-1974
- 1830 - 1993 FamilySearch Florida, Marriages, 1830-1993
- 1822 - 1875 and 1927 - 2001 FamilySearch Florida, Marriage Index, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001
Societies and Libraries
Holmes County Historical Society
412 W. Kansas
Bonifay, FL 3242
Holmes County Public Library
303 North J. Harvey Etheridge Street
Bonifay, Florida 32425
- List of Florida Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Florida Historical Society
- Florida State Genealogical Society
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Holmes County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Holmes County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Holmes County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- The FLGenWeb Project
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 123-139. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Holmes County, Florida Page 135 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).