Holyhead, Anglesey Genealogy
HOLYHEAD, a sea-port, a borough, market town, and parish, partly in the hundred of Tàlybolion, but chiefly in that of Llyvon, union and county of Anglesey, North Wales, 24 miles (W. by N.) from Beaumaris, and 263 (N. W. by W.) from London. This place, which is of remote antiquity, derives its Welsh name of Caer-Gybi, implying "the fortified place, or city, of Cybi," from its situation in a small island at the western extremity of Anglesey, called Ynys Gybi on account of its having been for many years the residence of a British saint named Cybi, who, according to Cressy's Church History, was the son of Solomon, Duke of Cornwall. The church, dedicated to St. Cybi is a spacious cruciform structure, principally in the decorated style of English architecture. There were formerly various other churches, or chapels, in the parish, which was anciently of greater ecclesiastical importance than it is at present; but they have long since been abandoned, and the only remains are those of Capel Lochwyd, Capel-y-Gorllŷs, Capel Gwyngenau, and Towyn-y-Capel. There are places of worship in the parish for Baptists, Independents, and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists.
HOLYHEAD, a parish, market town, seaport, and parliamentary borough, on Holy Island, in the hundreds of Llyfon and Tal-y-Bolion, county Anglesey, 24 miles W. by N. of Beaumaris, and 260 from London by road, or 264¼ by the London and North-Western and the Chester and Holyhead railways, which latter has an extensive terminus here. For more information, see Holyhead, Anglesey at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464298.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1846). Adapted. Date accessed: 21 Aug 2014.