Honolulu County, Hawaii Genealogy
Guide to Honolulu County, Hawaii ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Honolulu County, Hawaii|
Location in the state of Hawaii
Location of Hawaii in the U.S.
|Address|| Honolulu County Courthouse|
530 South King Street
Honolulu, HI 96813
Honolulu County Website
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Biography
- 2.2 Cemeteries
- 2.3 Census
- 2.4 Church Records
- 2.5 Court Records
- 2.6 Directories
- 2.7 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.8 Ethnic, Political and Religious Groups
- 2.9 Gazetteers
- 2.10 Genealogy
- 2.11 History
- 2.12 Land and Property
- 2.13 Maps
- 2.14 Migration
- 2.15 Military
- 2.16 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.17 Newspapers
- 2.18 Obituaries
- 2.19 Probate
- 2.20 Public Records
- 2.21 Repositories
- 2.22 Taxation
- 2.23 Vital Records
- 2.24 Websites
- 3 Places
- 4 References
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|* For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent County: created in 1905 as the original county
- County seat: Honolulu 
- Neighboring Island: Kauai
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Hawaii Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Honolulu County, Hawaii Genealogy census records online, see: Hawaii Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Hawaii denominations, view the Hawaii Church Records wiki page.
Emigration and Immigration
- 1942-1948 Hawaii, Passenger Lists of Airplanes departing Honolulu, 1942-1948 at FamilySearch — index and image
- 1942-1948 Hawaii, Passenger Lists of Airplanes departing Honolulu, 1942-1948 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1900-1952 Hawaii, Index to Filipino Passengers Arriving at Honolulu, 1900-1952 at FamilySearch — index and images
Ethnic, Political and Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Honolulu County, Hawaii Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Hawaii Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Hawaii Land and Property for additional information about early Hawaii land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Naturalization and Citizenship
- 1980-present - Hawaii Obituaries Index ca. 1980-present at FamilySearch— index and images
- Hawaii Newspaper Index, 1929-1969 - includes obituaries
- Hawaii Newspaper Index, 1989-present -- includes obituaries
- Honolulu County, Hawaii Obituary Collection Free from GenealogyBuff.com. From Various Funeral Homes in the Honolulu, Kunia, Hauula, Pearl City, Waianae, Hawaii areas.
State Health Department has marriage, death, birth, wills, probate and land records.
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Honolulu Hawaii Family History Center
- Kaneohe Hawaii Family History Center
- Laie Hawaii Family History Center
- Mililani Hawaii Family History Center
- Waipahu Hawaii Family History Center
Hawaiian Historical Society Library
560 Kawaiahao St.
Honolulu HI 96813
Honolulu County Genealogy Society
2790-9 Kahaloa Drive
P.O. Box 235039
Honolulu, HI 96823-3500
Hawaii Chinese History Center
111 North King Street, Room 410
Honolulu HI 96817
Japanese Consulate of Honolulu
1742 Nuuanu Ave.
Honolulu, HI 96817-3201
Phone: (808) 543-3111
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. The State office has some records as early as 1853 up to the present. See the State of Hawaii, Department of Health website for information on acquiring the records and any restrictions.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Honolulu County, Hawaii Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Honolulu County Genealogy (Hawaii Genealogy)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Honolulu County, Hawaii page 170, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.