Howard County, Maryland Genealogy
|United States||Maryland||Howard County|
Guide to Howard County, Maryland ancestry, family history, and genealogy, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, and military records.
|Howard County, Maryland|
Location in the state of Maryland
Location of Maryland in the U.S.
|Founded||May 13, 1851|
|County Seat||Ellicott City|
|Address|| Howard County Courthouse|
3430 Courthouse Drive
Ellicott City, MD 21043
Howard County Website
- 1 Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Neighboring Counties
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
br>Clerk Circuit Court has marriage, divorce, court and land records.
Register of Wills has probate records. 
- Named for John Edger Howard, a Colonel in the American Revolutionary War, later the 5th Governor of Maryland.
- Made a separate county in 1838 from Anne Arundel County with a part from Baltimore County, but it was not formally recognized until 13 May 1851 by the state Constitutional Convention.
For animated maps illustrating Maryland county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Maryland County Boundary Maps" (1637-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
- On-line headstone trandscriptions
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Maryland Cemeteries for more information.|
Blackwell, Boston, Fuller & Howard Gravestones (see Pine Orchard Methodist Episcopal Cemetery)
Bushy Park Community Cemetery
Elkridge Community Christian Church
Ellicott Family Graveyard, Ellicott Mills (Now Ellicott City)
Federal Census reports available 1860-1930. For tips on accessing Howard County, Maryland Genealogy census records online, see: Maryland Census.
Maryland State Archives' Guide to Maryland Religious Institutions is not intended to be a complete listing of all Religious institutions in Maryland. It was originally based upon the churches recorded by the Federal Works Progress Administration during a records survey conducted from 1935 to 1941. It has been expanded by later acquisitions from religious organizations to the Maryland State Archives.
The following records, taken from its collection, have been digitized and made available to view for free online:
- Protestant Episcopal (Church of England), Christ Church, Queen Caroline Parish 1712-1939 (includes parish register 1712-1937 and vestry minutes 1728-1776, 1809-1939)
- 1708-1985 - Pennsylvania, Church and Town Records, 1708-1985 at Historical Society of Pennsylvania – $, free to members of the society; Also available at Ancestry.com – $; 7,542,774 entries. This database is incomplete for all counties.
- Contains the church records of:
- Elkridge: Elkridge Methodist Church
- Contains the church records of:
Church of England
- See also Queen Caroline Parish
Through a Joint eGovernment Service of the Maryland Judiciary and the Maryland State Archives, free images and indexes of the complete series of Howard County Deed Books (1840-present) have been uploaded to their website: A Digital Image Retrieval System for Land Records in Maryland. (Requires free registration.)
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Maryland, Howard County, p. 151. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
- 1861-1865 - Maryland, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Maryland, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
Regiments. Service men in Howard County, Maryland Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Howard County, Maryland Genealogy:
- - 2nd Regiment, Maryland Cavalry (6 months, 1863-1864), Company C
- - 3rd Regiment, Maryland Infantry, Potomac Home Brigade Company I
- - 7th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Ashby's) (Confederate). Company B (1st) (Howard Dragoons).
- Howard County newspapers are identified in "Guide to Maryland Newspapers," available online, courtesy: Special Collections, Maryland State Archives.
Online Probate Records
- 1604 – 1878 Maryland Wills and Probate Records 1604-1878 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1635 – 1743 Maryland Calendar of Wills 1635-1743 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1796 – 1940 Maryland Probate Estate and Guardianship Files , 1796-1940 at FamilySearch images
- Zimmerman, Kenneth E. Guide to Research in Howard County, Maryland. Woodstock, Md.: K. E. Zimmerman, 1997.
- 1658 - 1940 Maryland County Marriages, 1658-1940 at FamilySearch — index
- 1666 - 1970 Maryland Marriages, 1666-1970 at FamilySearch — index
- 1858 Partial Listing of Howard County Marriages 1858
- 1860 - 1939 Howard County Marriage Licenses 1860-1939 from the Howard County Historical Society site.
- 1886 - 1900 Howard County Circuit Court Marriage Records 1886-1900
- Marriage Records - Maryland State Archives
- 1898 - 1944 Maryland Death Index 1898-1944
Societies and Libraries
Afro-American Historical and Genealogical Society
Central Maryland Chapter
P. O. Box 648
Columbia, MD 21045
Charles E. Miller Branch & Historical Center
Howard County Library System
9421 Frederick Rd
Ellicott City, MD 21042
Phone: 410 313-1950
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Howard County, Maryland Genealogy, History and Facts (Genealogy Inc)
- The Howard County MDGenWeb Project, a member of The MDGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- "Howard Co.," in Genealogical Sources in Periodicals at The Maryland State Archives.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project, Howard County
- Slave owners households
- FamilySearch Catalog, Howard County