Humboldt County, California Genealogy
Guide to Humboldt County, California ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Humboldt County, California|
Location of California in the U.S.
|Founded||May 12, 1853|
|Address|| Humboldt County Courthouse|
825 5th St;
Eureka, CA 95501;
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Parent Counties
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Bible Records
- 5.2 Biography
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church History and Records
- 5.6 Crime and Criminals
- 5.7 Directories
- 5.8 Court Records
- 5.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 5.10 Gazetteers
- 5.11 Genealogy
- 5.12 History
- 5.13 Land and Property
- 5.14 Maps
- 5.15 Migration
- 5.16 Military History and Records
- 5.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.18 Newspapers
- 5.19 Obituaries
- 5.20 Periodicals
- 5.21 Probate Records
- 5.22 Repositories
- 5.23 Societies
- 5.24 Taxation
- 5.25 Vital Records
- 5.26 Voting Registers
- 6 Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Humboldt County, California Record Dates
County Clerk has divorce, probate and court records from 1853 County Recorder has birth, marriage, death and burial and land records
For animated maps illustrating California county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation California County Boundary Maps" (1850-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1924--Humboldt County Courthouse damaged by fire. County records were not destroyed.
Indian Reservations or Rancherias
The Big Lagoon Indian Rancheria is located in this county.
- Index to Humboldt County Biographies (USGenWeb Archives)
- Humbolt County Biography Index (Genealogy Trails)
- Humboldt County Biography Links (CAGenWeb Project)
The following web site may have additional information on Humboldt County cemeteries.
- Interment.net California cemetery records by County.
For tips on accessing Humboldt County, California Genealogy census records online, see: California Census.
- Humboldt County Census Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Church History and Records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about California denominations, view the California Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Humboldt County, California Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section California Local Histories.
- Humboldt County History (Genealogy Trails)
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See California Land and Property for additional information about early California land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Military History and Records
Regiments. Service men in Humboldt County, California Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Humboldt County, California Genealogy:
- - 1st Battalion Mountaineers, California Infantry (Union), Company A
- - 1st Battalion Mountaineers, California Infantry (Union), Company B
- - 1st Battalion Mountaineers, California Infantry (Union), Company C
- Humboldt County Civil War Veterans, Anderson Post No. 21, G. A. R. 1886 (USGenWeb Archives)
- Humboldt County Civil War Veterans, Col. Whipple Post No. 49, G. A. R. 1886 (USGenWeb Archives)
World War I
- 1917 - 1918 - United States World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 at FamilySearch — index and images
World War II
- Humboldt County CA Archives Military Records.....Index to Army Enlistees by Name - Scroll down to WWII. (USGenWeb Archives)
Naturalization and Citizenship
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Humboldt County, California Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Humboldt County Obituaries (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Humboldt County Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1854 - 1899 - Humboldt County Obituaries compiled by Humboldt County Genealogical Society (CAGenWeb Project)
The county clerk is usually the custodian of probate records. The records include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
You can obtain copies of the original probate records (such as wills and estate files) by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for California - Humboldt - Probate records.
Online Probate Records
- 1782 – 1999 California Wills and Probate Records 1782-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1833 – 1991 California Probate Estate Files 1833-1991 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Eureka California 1st Ward Family History Center
- McKinleyville California Family History Center
- Miranda California Family History Center
California tax records complement land records and can supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page California Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records. The State office has records since July 1905. For earlier records, contact the County Recorder. See also How to order California Vital Records
- 1812 - 1988 - California Births and Christenings, 1812-1988 at FamilySearch — index
- 1905 - 1995 - California Birth Index, 1905-1995 at FamilySearch — index
- 1850 - 1945 - California Marriages, 1850-1945 at FamilySearch — index
- 1850 - 1952 - California, County Marriages, 1850-1952 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1854 - 1885 - Western States Marriage Index.
- 1960 - 1985 - California Marriage Index, 1960-1985 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - 1939 - California Death Index, 1905-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1940 - 1997 - California Death Index, 1940-1997 at FamilySearch — index
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Humboldt County Genealogical Society
2336 – G Street
Eureka CA 95501
Humboldt County Historical Society
PO Box 8000
Eureka, CA 95502
Redwood Genealogical Society
PO Box 645
Fortuna, CA 95540
- Humboldt County, CA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- California Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- California Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Humboldt County CAGenWeb
- USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Humboldt County, California Genealogy Trails
- Humboldt County, CA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Humboldt County Research, California State Genealogical Alliance
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 62-75. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Humboldt County, California. Page 84 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogy Trails History Group, “Humboldt County, California Genealogy and History”, http://genealogytrails.com/cal/humboldt/#.WQeZFjEzqM8 5/01/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Humboldt County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humboldt_County,_California 5/01/2017.