Humboldt County, Nevada Genealogy
Guide to Humboldt County, Nevada ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Humboldt County Courthouse
Humboldt County, Nevada Record Dates
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
The following are locations in the county:
Other locations within the county:
During the time Nevada was part of Utah Territory, the Utah legislature created a Humboldt County, Utah in 1856 with borders partially overlapping the present-day Nevada county. Humboldt County is Nevada's oldest surviving county if the Utah version is counted. It was also one of Nevada's original nine counties created in 1861. Humboldt County Wikipedia entry
Business, Commerce, and Occupations
The following web site has additional information on Humboldt county cemeteries.
- Interment.net Nevada cemetery records by county.
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Nevada Church Records.
Church records are usually found in the towns rather than on the county level. Search the FamilySearch Catalog - Place Search
LDS Ward and Branch Records
The County Clerk acts as clerk to the 6th Judicial District Court, maintains the court records for the District Court.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
Land and Property Records
The county recorder's office keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
In the FamilySearch Catalog, land records for Nevada are listed in the Place Search under: NEVADA, Humboldt – LAND AND PROPERTY
The County Recorder is responsible for recording, scanning/microfilming and indexing of Real Estate Transactions, Mining Claim Locations and Assessment Work, Contracts, Leases, Judgments, UCC/Fixture Filing Statements, Liens, Maps and other miscellaneous documents.
Local histories are available for Humboldt County, Nevada Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Nevada Local Histories.
Google Books has books about the history and people in Nevada. Try various search terms, including the names of people. Books designated with "Full view" can be read online.
Search the FamilySearch Catalog by Place Search for Humboldt County, Nevada. Check the list of records for History. Order films into a local Family History Center. Public libraries may have copies of books or order through Interlibrary Loan.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Interactive Formation Boundary Map of Nevada - shows boundary changes for Nevada Counties
- Historical Maps and Atlases of Nevada - maps and atlases of Nevada
- Historical Maps of Nevada
- David Rumsey Collection for Nevada
- Perry-Castaneda Map Collection for Nevada
Early migration routes to and from Humboldt County, Nevada Genealogy for emigrant settlers included:
- 1861-1865 - Nevada, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
Naturalization and Citizenship
Search the FamilySearch Catalog by Place Search for Humboldt, Nevada. Check the records for Newspapers. Order films at a local Family History Center. Public libraries may have copies of books or order through Interlibrary Loan.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Humboldt County, Nevada Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Nevada Newspapers Online
- GenealogyBank - ($), contains images of Nevada newspapers
- Newspaper Archive - ($), contains images of Nevada newspapers
- Chronicling America - contains images of some Nevada newspapers; searching tips
- Elephind - Free; search engine that retrieves newspaper images from other free newspaper websites
Nevada Newspaper Catalogs
- U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present on Chronicling America - contains a list of all known newspapers and the dates they cover; once you locate a newspaper name, contact the local library to see if they have copies of the newspaper
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Nevada Probate Records for additional information.
Nevada tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the tax records. Most tax records can be obtained from the county treasurer or assessor. For more information, see the wiki page Nevada Taxation. The Family History Library does not have copies of Nevada tax records (as of June 2013).
A copy or an extract of most Nevada original records can be purchased from the Nevada Department of Health and Human Services or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Nevada Vital Records. For information about restrictions and costs for certificates, see the CDC Where to Write for Vital Records site.
The County Recorder is responsible for the recording, scanning/microfilming and indexing of marriage certificates.
- 1809 - 2011 Western States Marriage Index, 1809-2011 - Index, incomplete, list of counties included
- 1956 - 2005 Nevada Marriage Index 1956-2005 at Ancestry ($)
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
Humboldt County Library
85 East 5th Street
Winnumucca, NV 89445
- Humboldt County Genealogical Society
c/o Humboldt County Library
85 E Fifth St
Winnemucca, NV 89445
- Northeastern Nevada Genealogical Society
1515 Idaho Street, Elko 89801-4021
- Nevada State Genealogical Society
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 20666
Reno, NV 89515-0666
- Nevada Historical Society
1650 North Virginia Street
Reno, NV 89503
- Clark County Nevada Genealogy Society
PO Box 1929
Las Vegas, NV 89125-1929
- Tri-State Genealogical Society
ARIZONA, CALIFORNIA, NEVADA
PO Box 21902
Bullhead City, AZ 86439
- Humboldt County Genealogical Society
- The Humboldt GenWeb Project, a member of the NVGenWeb Project:Genealogy and Local History in Nevada (with jurisdictions for Nevada) is an affiliate of the USGenWeb Project. The USGenWeb project may have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog - The FamilySearch catalog contains descriptions and access information for all genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) in their collection. Use Historical Records to search for specific individuals in genealogical records
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Humboldt County, Oregon page 442, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Humboldt County, Nevada," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humboldt_County%2C_Nevada accessed 15 March 2017.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002).
- National Park Service, "California Trail" (map) in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/upload/CALImap1-web.pdf (accessed 2 August 2011).
- Wikipedia contributors, "First Transcontinental Railroad" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Transcontinental_Railroad (accessed 2 August 2011).