Hungary Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Hungary, Civil Registration, 1895-1980 .
- 1 Title in the Language of the Records
- 2 What is in the Collection?
- 3 Coverage Table
- 4 Collection Contents
- 5 How Do I Search the Collection?
- 6 For Help Reading These Records
- 7 What Do I Do Next?
- 8 Known Issues With This Collection
- 9 Related Websites
- 10 Related Wiki Articles
- 11 How You Can Contribute
- 12 Citing this Collection
Title in the Language of the Records
Magyar Polgári Anyakönyvek
What is in the Collection?
This collection includes the years 1895-1980.
The records are bound volumes of preprinted forms with event information recorded by hand. From 1895 through 1906, the forms are one page per event; beginning with 1907 each event occupies one row in a printed table, so there are multiple events recorded per page. The records are in Hungarian.
The registration has two formats:
- The pre-1907 format can be located by clicking on the Hungary Civil Registration link below.
- The post-1907 format is located on this page.
Both formats have valuable English translation guides to the records. An extract of these records has also been created and is being moved into the wiki article: Hungary Civil Registration, Birth and Marriage Extracts (Family Search Historical Records)
Civil Registration began in Hungary on October 1, 1895. The original records are maintained by each individual civil registration office (anyakönyvi hivatal); copies are made and submitted to the County Archives. The copies in the County Archives were microfilmed and subsequently digitized into the images in this collection.
Civil registration was instituted so that the government might have a record of vital events useful in compiling statistics about the people in Hungary.
Civil records are the primary source for research after 1895. They are generally correct as the event was registered by those who were eyewitnesses of the event.
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Hungary, Civil Registration, 1895-1980.|
For a list of the localities, record types, and date ranges included in this collection, refer to Hungary Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records) Coverage Table.
Birth records may contain the following information:
- Registration date and number
- Date and place of birth
- Name of child
- Child's gender and religion
- Parents’ names and mother's age
- Parents’ religion
- Signature of informant
- Additional remarks
Marriage records generally contain the following information:
- Date and place of marriage
- Groom’s name
- Groom's date and place of birth
- Groom's religion and occupation
- Groom’s parents’ names
- Bride's name
- Bride's date and place of birth
- Bride's religion and occupation
- Bride’s parents’ names
- Witnesses' names and their residence
- Additional remarks
Death records generally contain the following information:
- Registration date and number
- Date and time of death
- Place of death
- Name and age of deceased
- Deceased’s residence and occupation
- Deceased's religion
- Spouse’s name
- Parents’ names
- Cause of death
- Signatures of informant and registrar
- Additional remarks
How Do I Search the Collection?
As you are searching, it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor’s given name and surname and some other identifying information, such as residence, age, and family relationships.
To search by index:
Fill in the requested information in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to find your ancestor.
To browse by image:
To search the collection images, you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select the "County" category
⇒Select the "Town or Registration District" category
⇒Select the "Record Type and Date Range" category, which takes you to the images
Search the collection by image, comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Hungarian. For help reading the records, see the following wiki articles:
What Do I Do Next?
- Use civil birth records to verify date and place of birth, as well as to provide names of parents and their respective places of birth and approximate year of birth. Only birth records 90 years old or older are made available by the Hungarian government.
- Use civil marriage records to verify date and place of marriage and name of spouse, as well as to provide parents names for both the bride and groom. Only marriage records 60 years old or older are made available by the Hungarian government.
- Use civil death records to verify date and place of death, as well as to provide approximate year of birth, place of birth, names of parents, and spouse. Only death records 30 years old or older are made available by the Hungarian government.
Research guides are available by clicking on the Hungary link below. It will also include "How to begin research," "Research Tools (incl. Common Hungarian Words)," and a history of Hungary.
|FHL Place Hungary items or FHL Keyword Hungary items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Hungary Archives and Libraries.|
Known Issues With This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, plea se email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Related Wiki Articles
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Hungary, Civil Registration, 1895-1980." Database with Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org: accessed 2016. Város Levéltár, Magyarország (City Archives, Hungary).
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for Hungary, Civil Registration, 1895-1980.|
|The image citation is available by clicking on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Hungary, Civil Registration, 1895-1980.|