Huntington Beach California Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Center Contacts and Hours
- 8702 Atlanta Ave Huntington Beach, CA.92646 United States
- The Center is located in the northeast corner of our red brick Stake Center. *We serve Huntington Beach, Fountain Valley, Costa Mesa, Newport Beach, Westminister, Garden Grove and even Long Beach. Our center is consistently open 6 days a week with a consultant always there.
- Use this website to sign up for:
- Group Training
- Family Discovery Experience
- Tuesdays and Wednesdays we will start classes in February 2017. Check the website for signing up: www.hbstake.org - Family History tab
close for all major holidays: For 2 weeks around Christmas and New Years: The answering machine will be specific:
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
Most of our books are for research reference. We have about 1800 microfilms on permanent loan from the Salt Lake Family History Library. Those films include many from Guadalajara, Mexico, Acri, Italy and New York City.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
Construction is now finished; the Center has been redesigned and completely rebuilt. We have 17 new internet connected Computers; 15 of them are touch-screen.
Groups are welcome; we have the capability of teaching groups using a large touch screen TV. It works well for youth groups.
We also have a private Family Room for 1 family at a time to have a Discovery Experience also using a separate large touch screen TV.
For appointments to the Family Room or for your group, email at email@example.com. List the date and time you desire and your phone number so we may contact you. We need to prepare special for your family's visit or line up experienced "coaches" for your group's training visit.
We have a digital imaging machine for reading microfilm and fiche and for printing or saving as a pdf file to a flash drive. We have a desktop page with links to many commonly used Family History research websites.
Resources in the Local Area
The Huntington Beach Public Library located at GoldenWest and Talbert has a very large collection of books, maps, magazines. It is open whenever the library is. Call 714-842-4481. We regularly refer patrons to each other.
Volunteer at the Center
Volunteers are always needed. It is an excellent way to set aside a regular time to work on your own research and learn from others. We do an orientation for any new consultants. We can teach family history skills.