Idaho, Birth Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Idaho, Birth Index, 1861-1911 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Idaho, United States|
|Flag of Idaho|
|Location of Idaho|
|Record Type||Birth Index|
What is in the Collection?
This collection contains a birth index, 1861-1911 from the Bureau of Vital Records and Health Statistics of births filed between July 1, 1911 and December 31, 1911. The index also includes births filed with bureau before the office was open.
Key genealogical facts found in this index include:
- Birth date
- Birth place
- Parent's names
- City or town code
- Certificate number
How Do I Search the Collection?
To begin your search it is helpful to know the name and other identifying information such as approximate birth date or parents' names..
Search by Name by visiting the Collection Page:
Fill in the requested information on the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to find your ancestor.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line video at FamilySearch Search Tips.
I Found Who I Was Looking for, What Now?
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. The information may lead you to other records about your ancestors. The following examples show ways you can use the information:
- Use the certificate number to request a copy of the death certificate.
- Use the location find the family in census, church, and land records.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- Continue to search the index and records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have died in the same place or nearby.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- Be aware that, as with any index, transcription errors may occur.
I Can't Find Who I'm Looking for, What Now?
- Check for variant spellings of the names.
- Look for a different index. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Idaho, Birth Records items in the FamilySearch Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Idaho Archives and Libraries.|
Citing This Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- Bureau of Vital Records and Health Statistics. Idaho, Birth Index, 1861-1911. Idaho Bureau of Vital Records and Health Statistics, Boise, Idaho.
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for Idaho, Birth Index, 1861-1911.|
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.