Illinois, Adams County, Card Index to Deaths (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Illinois, Adams County, Card Index to Deaths, 1877-1990 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Adams, Illinois, United States|
|Flag of Illinois|
|Location of Adams County, Illinois|
|Location of Illinois|
|Record Type||Death Index|
- 1 What is in the Collection?
- 2 Collection Content
- 3 What Can this Collection Tell Me?
- 4 How Do I Search the Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citations for this Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in the Collection?
This collection includes a card index to death records in Adams County from the courthouse in Quincy, Illinois for the years 1877 to 1990.
Be aware that some of the index cards only contain a two digit year, for example 81. We have assumed that the cards with only two digit years for the number range 77-90 are from the 1900s. This may not always be correct. It would be best to contact Adams County for further details.
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Illinois, Adams County, Card Index to Deaths, 1877-1990.|
What Can this Collection Tell Me?
The cards list the following:
- Name at the time of death
- Death date
How Do I Search the Collection?
To begin your search it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor.
- The estimated date of death for your ancestor.
Search by Name by visiting the Collection Page:
Fill in the requested information on the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the individuals in the list to what you already know about your own ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to find your ancestor.
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the appropriate "Surname Range" which takes you to the images.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line article FamilySearch Search Tips and Tricks.
What Do I Do Next?
When you have located your ancestor in the card index, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Save a copy of the image or transcribe the information. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. Add this new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors.
I Found Who I was Looking for, What Now?
- Use the name and death date to search for a death record in one of the following:
The Family History Library. It has the following two death collections for Adams County
- Adams County, Illinois registers of deaths, 1877-1915; Film numbers
- 1870155 Item 3
- 1870156 Item 1
- Adams County death record listing, 1878-1972; Film number
- 1870153 Item 2
Tips to keep in mind:
- Continue to search the index and records to identify other relatives.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- You may need to compare the information of more than one person to determine which person is your ancestor.
- Be aware that some of the index cards only contain a two digit year, for example 81. We have assumed that the cards with only two digit years for the number range 77-90 are from the 1900s. This may not always be correct. It would be best to contact Adams County for further details.
I Can't Find Who I'm Looking for, What Now?
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for alias names, nicknames and abbreviated names.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby localities.
- Try alternative search methods such as only filling in the surname search box (or the given name search box) on the landing page leaving the other box empty and then click on search. This should return a list of everyone with that particular name. You could then browse the list for individuals that may be your ancestor.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Illinois, Adams items in the FamilySearch Catalog.|
Citations for this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- “Illinois, Adams County, Card Index to Deaths, 1877-1990.” Database with Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Citing Adams County Courthouse, Quincy.
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for Illinois, Adams County, Card Index to Deaths, 1877-1990.|
|The image citation is available by clicking on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Illinois, Adams County, Card Index to Deaths, 1877-1990.|
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.