Independent Battery E, Pennsylvania Light Artillery (Knap's Light Artillery)
This regiment was organized at Point of Rocks, Md., from a Company formed for 63rd Pennsylvania and surplus men of the 28th Pennsylvania Infantry September, 1861. It mustered out at Pittsburg June 14, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Many Men in this Battery were recruited in Pittsburgh, Allegheny County - See Roster
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Pennsylvania in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Pennsylvania in the Civil War describes many sources, specifically for Pennsylvania, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Brady, James P. Hurrah for the Artillery!: Knap's Independent Battery "E", Pennsylvania Light Artillery. (Gettysburg, PA: Thomas Publications, 1992). FHL 974.8 M2br. WorldCat.
- Brown, H. E. The 28th and 147th Regiments Penna. Vols. at Gettysburg (S.l: s.n, 1890). FHL Fiche 6083909. WorldCat.
- PaRoots gives a history of this regiment including its organization and battles. It also gives an additional Bibliography and a roster . There are images for two monuments honoring this Battery.
- Ranger 95 has a history of this regiment, with Rosters for each company. This site has images of monuments honoring this Battery.
- Pennsylvania State Archives lists a roster for each company and lists where each man in the company was recruited.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).