Iowa, County Births (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Iowa, County Births, 1880-1935 .
What is in the Collection?
The collection consists of an index to the birth records created by the counties of Iowa. It should contain records from all 99 counties in the state. The collection includes records from 1880 to 1935. Records where the county could not be identified or where the birth took place out of state and was registered in Iowa are listed as "Other" in the table below.
As of May 2016 the collection contained the following.
The index contains the following information:
- Name of child
- Birth date
- Parent's names
- Film number
- Digital folder number
- Image number
How Do I Search the Collection?
To begin your search it is helpful to know:
- The name of the child
- Other identifying information such as the birth date and place or the parents' names
To search the collection by name:
Fill in the requested information in the boxes on the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the individuals in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to find your ancestor. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names, or variations of their name, throughout their life.
- If your ancestor used an alias or a nickname, be sure to check for those alternate names.
- Even though these indexes are very accurate they may still contain inaccuracies, such as altered spellings, misinterpretations, and optical character recognition errors if the information was scanned.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line article [FamilySearch Tips and Tricks].
What Do I Do Next?
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Save a copy of the image or transcribe the information. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details or lead to other records about your ancestors.
Remember this is only an index. As with any index, transcription errors may have occurred.
I Can't Find Who I'm Looking For, Now What?
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for alias names, nicknames and abbreviated names.
- Look for a different index. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby localities.
- Try alternative search methods such as only filling in the surname search box (or the given name search box) on the landing page leaving the other box empty and then click on search. This should return a list of everyone with that particular name. You could then browse the list for individuals that may be your ancestor.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Iowa, Vital Records items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Iowa Archives and Libraries.|
Related Wiki Articles
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Iowa, County Births, 1880-1935." Database. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. County district courts, Iowa.
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for Iowa, County Births, 1880-1935.|