Ireland Census Search Forms, 1841 and 1851 (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Ireland Census Search Forms, 1841 and 1851 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Ireland|
|Record Type||Census Search Forms|
|The National Archives of Ireland|
What is in the Collection?
This collection will include Irish Census Search forms images from 1841-1851. The government used these forms to search the 1841 and 1851 Census Search Forms to prove the age of people applying for the Old Age Pension (age 70 or older) during the period between 1915 and 1922, with some records as early as 1908 . This was necessary when birth certificates did not exist because the person was born before Civil Registration had begun for births (1864). This collection was originally captured at the National Archives of Ireland and the index was created by findmypast.com.
To Browse this Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Ireland Census Search Forms, 1841 and 1851.|
Census Search Forms may contain the following Information:
- Head of Household
- Marital Status and Date
- Occupation of Head of Household
- County and Township of Residence
- Other household members
How Do I Search the Collection?
This section provides information on how to search the collection and some tips on how to find and search records. As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor's given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence, age, estimated [event] year, and family relationships.
To search this collection by name:
Fill in the requested information in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to find your ancestor.
To search by image:
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒ Select the 'County' category which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
- Household members of the person applying for the pension are sometimes listed on their form. These names will be indexed as well.
- Titles may be clues to property ownership, occupations, rank, or status within the community.
- Be aware that, as with any index, transcription errors may occur.
- Check for variant spellings of the names.
- See the Related FamilySearch Historical Records section of this article for Ireland censuses for further searching.
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- “Ireland Census Search Forms, 1841 and 1851.” Database with Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org: accessed 2016. From database by findmypast and images digitized by FamilySearch. Citing The National Archives of Ireland, Dublin.
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):