Irwin County, Georgia Genealogy
|United States||Georgia||Irwin County|
Guide to Irwin County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Irwin County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 15, 1818|
|Address|| Irwin County Courthouse|
207 S Irwin Avenue
PO Box 186
Ocilla, GA 31774-1098
Irwin County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Bible Records
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church Records
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land and Property
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Naturalization
- 5.14 Newspapers
- 5.15 Occupations
- 5.16 Probate Records
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 6 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Irwin County, Georgia Record Dates
Irwin County Courthouse
207 S Irwin Avenue
PO Box 186
Ocilla, GA 31774-1098
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, land and court records from 1821 and military records from 1900. Probate Court has birth, marriage, death and burial records from 1920 and probate records from 1850.
Clerk of Superior Court
301 S. Irwin Avenue, Suite 103
Ocilla, GA 31774
Telephone: (229) 468-5356
Fax: (229) 468-9753
Probate Court of Irwin County
301 S. Irwin Avenue
Ocilla, GA 31774
1818--Irwin County was created 15 December 1818 from Creek Indian Lands.
County seat: Ocilla
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Georgia Cemeteries for more information.|
- Jefferey, Alice, ed. Irwin County, Georgia Census, 1900 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2000. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Irwin County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- Clements, J. B. History of Irwin County. Atlanta, Ga.: Foote & Davies Co., c1932. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
Regiments. Service men in Irwin County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Irwin County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 49th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company F
- - 61st Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company A
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
- Clements, J. B. 1978. History of Irwin County. Spartanburg, S.C.: Reprint Co. (page 117-128) 975.8855 H2c
- Georgia. Court of Ordinary (Irwin County). 1965. Indigent confederate soldiers and widows, (transcribed), 1890-1920; confederate pension rolls, 1895-1924. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. film 394627
- Irwin County (Georgia). Court of Ordinary. 1997. Application for soldier pension records, 1815-1915. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. film 2074693 item 3
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Irwin County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Irwin County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Online Probate Records
- 1742 1992 Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742-1990 Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch.org images
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- 1821-1864 - Will Book No. 1, 1821-1864 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1821-1864 - Index to Will Book No. 1, 1821-1864 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1822-1855 - Index to Annual Returns, Appraisements, Sales, Minutes, 1822-1855 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1863-1875 - Index to Annual Returns, Appraisements, Sales, Minutes, 1863-1875 Georgia Pioneers $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1699 - 1944 - Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1754 - 1960 - Georgia Church Marriages, 1754-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1785 - 1950 - Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1787 - 1962 - Georgia, Church Marriages, 1787-1962 at FamilySearch — index
- 1808 - 1967 - Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1828 - 1978 - Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1827 - 1872 - Marriages at Georgia Pioneers $
- 1885 - 1886 - (from newspapers) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1835 - 1874 - Irwin County Marriage Index 1835-1874. Batch M713081 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1873 - 1901 - Irwin County Marriage Index 1873-1901. Batch M713082 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1849 - 50, 1869 - 70, 1879 - 80 - Irwin County, Georgia Genealogy Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
- 1914 - 1927 - Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1919 - 1998 - Georgia Deaths 1919-1998 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1928 - 1939 - Georgia Deaths 1928-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1933 - 1998 - Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Irwin County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb Irwin County, Georgia project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Irwin County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers $
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Irwin County, Georgia. Page 156 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 37-38. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/57/Igigeorgiael.pdf.