Johnson Bayou, Louisiana
- Named for David Johnson, settled about 1790 (Wikipedia)
The Johnson Bayou settlement began in 1790 when Daniel Johnson discovered the oak-studded ridges along the bayous. He built a two-story home on the north ridge above Deep Bayou. His relatives soon joined him. Johnson Bayou once had over 1,200 residents, two post offices, cotton gins, syrup mills, a cotton brokerage house, a shingle mill and a 24-room hotel. 
A devastating hurricane destroyed Johnson Bayou on 12 October 1886. During the terrifying hurricane, a storm surge of betwen seven and twelve feet swept inland, killing between 50 and 110 people. 
Many of the survivors returned to northern states or moved to Texas. The discovery of oil and improved pasture for cattle eventually helped the community to regain a population similar to what it had before the 1886 storm.
- FamilySearch.org FamilySearch Catalog for Johnson Bayou
- Ross, Nola Mae. "Johnson Bayou: Historic Community." Lake Charles American Press. 17 Dec. 1989. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "LCAP" defined multiple times with different content
- Block, W.T. "October 12, 1886: The Night That Johnson's Bayou, Louisiana, Died." Reprinted from the Beaumont Enterprise. 10 Oct. 1979.