Kaiserslautern Germany Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Kaiserslautern Family History Center is a place where all who desire can research their Family history or genealogy. The center has resources in both English and German.
Center Contacts and Hours
Language: English German
- Lauterstrasse 1, 67652 Kaiserslautern, GERMANY
- The center is located at the local church building of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, just west of the Kaiserslautern City Hall highrise off Lauterstrasse. Turn on Meuthstrasse and the entrance to the parking lot is on the eastern side of the street. If the parking bar is down push the black button on the white box for access. A larger parking lot is across the street from the church building if additional parking is needed.
- Map to Center through FamilySearch lookup
- Map to Center through Google Maps
- Tuesdays: 6:30 - 8:30 pm
- Wednesdays: 6:30 - 8:30 pm
- Thursdays: 6:30 - 8:30 pm
- Saturdays: by appointment only
The Family History Center will be closed the following days during 2016:
1 August through 19 August - Summer Break
Thursday, 24 November - Thanksgiving Day
19 December through 2 January 2017
Calendar and Events
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog. We have many German microfilms in the Center on Indefinite Loan.
- The Center has a large collection of books, both in English and in German, and are available for check-out.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
- Our center has seven (7) microfilm readers available for patrons. Four (4) computers are available for English patron use. Two are specifically dedicated to German use.
Staff Research Specialties
Assistance in German speaking research is typically available as well as English.
Resources in the Local Area
Institut für pfälzische Geschichte und Volkskunde (Palatinate regional history and folk life studies)
Pfalzbibliothek Kaiserslautern (Regional Library)
Volunteer at the Center
The Center is staffed by members of the local Church who have been called to serve as Family History Consultants as well as local German speaking volunteers.