Knapton, Norfolk Genealogy
|Poor Law Union||Erpingham|
|Parish registers: 1687|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
KNAPTON (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Erpingham, hundred of North Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 3¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from North Walsham. 
Knapton St Peter and St Paul is an Ancient parish in the diocese of Norwich. A medieval church restored by George Gilber Scott in the 1880's and later in the 1930's.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Erpingham 1837-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
- The Register Office, 18 Kings Arms Street, North Walsham, NR28 9JX.
Tel/Fax: 01692 406220. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Knapton, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Knapton, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
This parish does not appear online on FamilySearch as no microfilm for the parish is held.
Norfolk Record Office reference PD265/1-2, 5-9. A search of the FamilySearch Catalogue identifies the following Archdeacon's transcripts:
|Other Contents||FHL Film|
|Baptisms and burials 1725-1812 Marriages 1725-1811||BRITISH 1526816 Item 10|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438853.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
- Erpingham http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/erpingham_workhouse.htm
- Norfolk Poor Law Unions
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Knapton on GenUKI
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 701-706. Date accessed: 16 April 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 26 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.